RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Creek hobbies Sukhoi su-31 My toledo purchase (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/99839-creek-hobbies-sukhoi-su-31-my-toledo-purchase.html)

capthis 04-08-2002 03:31 PM

Creek hobbies Sukhoi su-31 My toledo purchase

Here are a few pics of the creek hobbies su-31 sukhoi I picked up at toledo. Looks real well built and it was cheap! 72 inch wingspan and all fiberglass parts. The cowling will fit over my head! The wings are sheeted foam, and the fuse and tail are built up balsa. The covering is supposed to be oracover (ultracote). Hardware lacks a little to be desired, but a lot of arfs do. I plan on using the saito 180 for power. They had other planes there even an edge trimmed almost like the H9. My pics are too big I'll have to resize them Soon as that's done I'll post them. Their website is www.creekhobbies.com

Pugsley-RCU 04-08-2002 04:54 PM

Capthis.....

Hey,

I was going to post a message on here about Creek. I kind of liked the Katana, but didn't know anything about the company.

So you like the kit? There were to many people in front of this booth looking at that little Helo to get a good look.

Thanks.

Pug

Pugsley-RCU 04-08-2002 05:01 PM

I don't see the same planes....

on the Web site that they had there......

Pug

rcavi8ter 04-08-2002 06:15 PM

Creek Hobbies

I spent a couple hundred dollars with Creek but did not get an airplane. They cut me a good deal on Al. Servo Arms so I bought a couple dozen and they even threw in a little pilot. I don't fly much .60-1.20 size stuff but hey you can always use a pilot. The ARFs look liked the Giant Scale PLanes. com planes but I am not sure. The guys at Creek at great guys and I am sure they will get some of my business in the future.

Chris

capthis 04-08-2002 11:42 PM

They are not the same as giant scale planes. I looked real close at Giants scales sukhoi also but it has a fiberglass fuse and I wasn't impressed with the plane. Plus the creek suky is just a little bigger. Yes I like the plane. I just glued the wings together, and they fit like a glove. The tail feathers fit real nice too. but I am waiting to get the wing finished installed so I can check the incidence to the stab. As soon as my freind comes and helps me size the pics down I'll post some. I looked at the website and the planes aren't there? I am so far impressed with the quality of the kit minus the hardware. It would be ok for a .40 size but not a 120 size I plan on 3-Din and That all to famous blender.

capthis 04-08-2002 11:43 PM

Also the instructions are on CD rom. I'm not crazy about that but it works. They lack a little to be desired, but its made in china and the translation lacks a little. But on the plus side I am learning the metric system.

paero-RCU 04-09-2002 01:38 AM

If your plane is covered in "oracover" it's NOT Ultacoat. Oracover is the stuff sold by Hobby Lobby.

bjw4072 04-09-2002 04:56 AM

Oracover and Ultracoat are identical. Made in Germany I believe.

Slocum 04-09-2002 02:03 PM

Wow if that cowling fits over Your head it is HUGE! ; )

mvigod 04-09-2002 02:39 PM

Creek is located in NJ not very far from me...while I have not bought anything from there yet many users at my field take the ride there which is about an hour I think and have said nothing but good things about them. I only wish they were closer to me!

Pugsley-RCU 04-09-2002 04:32 PM

Capthis....

Okay. Like hurry up and fly this beast so I know if I really need the Katana or not.......too many planes.......

Pug

SMALLFLY- 04-09-2002 04:39 PM

Dont worry,Im betting he will have it done in a week and I am sure he will have it in a blender on it's first flight. As for fitting the cowl over his head, well If the cowl fits .....

Pugsley-RCU 04-09-2002 04:45 PM

I'll be back up in Indy....

In a week. Where do you guys fly? I've been flying at Plainsfield, Terry Airport (Zionsville) and Camp Attaberry (sp) in Indpls. I'd like to hook up with you guys and check this bird out.

Pug

SMALLFLY- 04-09-2002 05:17 PM

We are in evansville, the very southern tip--- the forgotten end of the state if you, will. If you ever make it down this way look us up

capthis 04-09-2002 05:18 PM

Pug, I may go to the columbus fly in this summer. Of course you are always welcome to come down and fly with us here in evansville too. I fly in salem IN once in a while and quite a bit through the summer. Its not an AMA feild but isn't too bad! I landed my modified extra special from a harrier last thursday. I was real excited! I am working on this, with that big open nose cowl your going to see a lot of engine, but as long as its hovering I guess that wont matter.

PineBaron 04-09-2002 08:33 PM

Yeah! Creek Hobbies.. I seem to spend so much there as if money is going out of fashion. They are my local hobby shop and a great bunch of guys. The new kits out are great value.
Vim

JEBLE 04-13-2002 02:27 AM

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for the positive feedback posted on this site. We are doing are best to make sure that this series, our first series, of ARF aircraft is successful. In response to some of the previous posts, I wanted to confirm first that Oracover and Ultracote are one and the same. Oracover is the manufacturer of Ultracote. Secondly, our website is currently under construction. I hope to have all of the information listed with in the next few weeks. There will be combo specials listed as well as a bunch of new products that we are releasing. Look for our ads in future issues of our most popular magazines. By the way, please feel free to contact us with any problems, questions, concerns, or suggestions......give us the opportunity to serve you. WE stand behind all of our products. Thanks for the time and good luck with these planes....we can't wait to hear how much you like them.

Jim

capthis 04-13-2002 03:04 AM

Jim, so far I like the kit. The only thing I see so far and mine is about together, is why didn't you double bevel the hinge line for the elevator? The elevator side looks good but the stab side could use it too. I think I will have enough throw the way it is to 3-D this plane, but I still would have liked to see it double beveled. I sealed my hinge gaps with white ultracote and it didn't quite match. It doesn't even look like the same covering. I wouldn't think there would have been that much difference betwwen batches? I am not complaining about the covering job it is well covered and it is a god material. I just wished it matched a little better. Anyway thanks for your reply, I will let you know when I fly it and what I think of it. In case of a mishap will there be any replacement parts available? Thanks again

RickC2009 04-13-2002 01:40 PM

cREEK EX330 S

1 Attachment(s)
Well I saw the kATANA at the Wram show and fell in love with. I would of picked one but they not ready! After a couple of weeks I called Jim at Creek Hobbies (really nice guy) and placed one on order. When he called me back to inform me they had come in I then changed my mind and went with the EX 330 S. The plane arrived 3 days later( quick service) very well packed. I could not wait to open it up! Here it is.

JEBLE 04-13-2002 11:39 PM

Capthis
I hope all is going well with the project. Thank you for your feedback so far. My feedback on these planes so far has been very positive. I really do not think that a double bevel will be necessary on these planes. I think that you will have enough control throw with the larger control surfaces themselves. However, if after a while the feedback I receive warrants a change in the production, then by all means we will make the change. As far as replacement parts, we received on Friday replacement cowls, pants, and canopies for all five of the airplanes. The pricing is very good on them as well.....about the same price as our US conterparts with the same great paint scheme. That was good news. In regards to the covering......I am doing some additional research now to better advise you. I was informed initially that the covering was an Oracover product. I will be doing some more research on Monday and get to the bottom of this issue. I will let you know the results. I am however, very happy with the covering results on these planes. I don't think that I could have asked for a much better job. Some hobbyists would be hard pressed to do this good of a job. Some of the schemes, especially on the Extra are fairly complex. My goal with these planes was to provide the highest possible quality ARF, with some "fancy" upgrades that most of the competition was lacking, for the very best prices in the marketplace today. So far I think that we are succeeding, time and your feedback will only tell. Until next time......

Jim Eble, Jr.
Creek Hobbies II, Inc.

Tommygun 04-13-2002 11:51 PM

I live about 10 miles down the same road as Creek Hobbies. I didn't realize they shipped nationwide. They seem alright, as for the most part, prices are competitive. However, I still don't trust this one guy who's always working there ever since he tried to tack an extra $75 on to the total of a bunch of stuff I bought there. Shady. Anyhow, does anyone need me to check on something there? I stop in just about daily.

Carlos Murphy 04-14-2002 12:24 AM

Sukhoi

Did a search at Creekhobbies and found no Sukhoi's listed...

mikerc 04-14-2002 01:19 AM

Hay JEBLE was that guy that was flying the little helo. Chris, Was he on Temptation Island? My wife wanted me to ask. Nice airplanes. Get that website updated. Looking forward to the new lineup.

capthis 04-14-2002 02:00 AM

I need to know the cg for the sukhoi. The instruction say 27-32 percent from leading edge. Is this the MAN or just a measurement from leading edge? Thanks again, I am trying to get it finished. Hopefully be ready to fly next weekend.

JEBLE 04-15-2002 01:48 PM

I am going to respond to all of you in one reply......Sorry.

Tommygun,
Tack on an extra $75.00. Shady? I am the owner, and I have not heard about this. If this did happen, it had to be a mistake. Since you stated that you come in daily, why don't you ask for me next time.....I want to talk with you further about this. Thanks.

Carlos,
I saw the information for our website this weekend. It still needs a little more tweeking. In should be up within the next week or so now. Keep checking.

Finnz,
In response to your question, yes Brian, was on Temptation Island.

Cap This,
In regards to the Sukhoi CG. It is based on the overall average chord, therefore, I recommend that you start at about 4.25 - 4.5 inches from the leading edge at the root. That is where our CG currently is on our flying model. You can go back further, however, I recommend for the first flights the above mentioned CG. Good Luck. I'll be looking forward to your comments.

Happy Flying,
Jim