Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Need some prop guidance

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Clmbngfrk18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some prop guidance

So this isn't exactly dealing with a plane but hoping I can still find help. I'm gonna be trying to pu an rc hovercraft together and I know nothing about eletric motors and props. In short Im looking for a thrust combo for one that would be hope 5 lbs or under

I'm currently looking at a 6x4 3 blade pusher prop on tower hobbies. I can't link it iPod won't let me paste the link

My question is am I better off with a high kv motor or some for like a 1/8th car since it will be heavy with a good amount of friction. I'm trying to keep this fairly low budget also so keep suggestions on the curdler side lol

Also what's the diff between in runner and out runner I'm new to the brushless thing but I read they far surpass brushed
Old 05-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Need some prop guidance

This article may help with one of your several questions:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1344
Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Clmbngfrk18

Thx that was helpful so what gather is I should be looking at out runners which if my brain is working today will probally be higher kv motors. Due to less rotational mass? Correct me if I'm wrong. Which makes sense more speed more thrust I'm just unsure about over working the motor.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You may do better setting up with a ducted fan instead of a prop. If I understand hovercrafts right, it's all about moving air to maintain pressure, right? Props are really rotary wings the produce lift in addition to moving air. That's a very simplified explanation of course, but if the point is to simply move air the ducted fan will be much more efficient.