Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Electric power systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric power systems

This one is for you Sal,
I'm a newbie to the world of electric flight, but I can see its definite advantages.
In some 'horse-trading', I acquired a Hangar 9 Aspire glider, but it has an old, heavy outdated power plant.
I'm looking for suggestions for a power system for this glider that will use a brushless motor and LiPo batteries. I have in stock a 25A ESC. Not interested in having the glider do a ballistic climb out, but a system that would give a very positive rate of climb.
Aspire Specifications:
79" wing span - 48" fuselage - 50oz flying weight.

Thanks for any info you can provide me.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
salnsp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric power systems

I prefer a brushless inrunner with planetary geardrive for sailplanes. They are more efficient and easier to fit in the narrow fuselages. Typically for a 2 meter sailplane a speed 400 sized brushless motor with geardrive will do the trick. The 25 amp esc is a little small but you can work with it. It will limit the amps you can use but it should give you over 40 ounces of thrust. Any of the good motors such as the Himaxx, Hacker, Neu, Medusa, Multiplex motors wll work fine. To keep the setup light, I would use one of the 3-cell 2070 TP Li-Polys although any 2000-2200 sized Li-Poly that can go to 15C or so should work fine.

If you want specific setups, I will be glad to provide these.