Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice
Reload this Page >

What plane(s) would be a good fit for my Nippy?

Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

What plane(s) would be a good fit for my Nippy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:19 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane(s) would be a good fit for my Nippy?

Since it's obvious the Nippy Black 1608/160 is not right for my GWS Tiger Moth, it begs the question....what am I going to do with this thing? I bought the motor on an impulse when Hobby Lobby was selling it for $20 (only later did I realize it was because they were discontinuing them!). Is there such a thing as a plane that would suit the Nippy's higher Kv and not-so-great efficiency?

Thanks loads!

Dave
Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 AM
supi7
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What plane(s) would be a good fit for my Nippy?

http://www.flyingmodels.org/motortes...y/1608-160.htm

from this chart it looks like any plane up to or around 20oz will work just fine for running a 2S or 3S pack

I think your TM would be just fine with this motor and a 2S lipo pack around 700-1200mAh and with a 7x5 or 8x4 prop

Dan

Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 PM
salnsp

I would look for a bit faster model and still run on 3 cells. One of the aerobatic models in the 30" range would be a good choice.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

Would one of the Alfa warbirds be a good fit?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: IFlySlowPlanes

Since it's obvious the Nippy Black 1608/160 is not right for my GWS Tiger Moth, it begs the question....what am I going to do with this thing? I bought the motor on an impulse when Hobby Lobby was selling it for $20 (only later did I realize it was because they were discontinuing them!). Is there such a thing as a plane that would suit the Nippy's higher Kv and not-so-great efficiency?

Thanks loads!

Dave
First it would help if we had more specs on the motor. size, weight, inrunner, outrunner, etc. I don't find specs for the motor's physical dimmensions.

You need to provide some objectives for the plane:

Thermal Duration sailplane?
Slow fly
Aerobatic
Scale

There are probably 100s of planes that would work with that motor. But what do you want from the plane. Also, why do you feel it would not work with a GWS Tiger Moth?

BTW, that was a steal for $20.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:20 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

It's an outrunner with a relatively high Kv rating (meaning it wants to turn a smaller prop that will generate less thrust than desired on my Tiger Moth). As Sal already said in an earlier thread on this subject, this motor would be better suited to a higher speed plane, which is why I immediately thought of the Alpha series of warbirds (which are beautiful to look at too as it happens). Anyway, here are the specs for the motor as posted on RCU:

Engine Type: Electric
Class: Brushless
Rotating Can: Yes
Minimum Cells: 6
Maximum Cells: 8
General Specs:
- 16.00 High Amps
- Weight: 3.25 oz.
- Length: 1.69 in.
- Diameter: 1.68 in.
- Shaft: .157 in.
Applications:
- Electric Aircraft

One of the reasons I think this motor was discontinued was because it seems to fall in the cracks between different categories of park fliers. Too fast for a slow plane and maybe not fast enough for a lot of faster park fliers. My main consideration is that the plane be suitable for local flying rather than requiring the 40 minute drive to my club.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57683.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	630940  
Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: IFlySlowPlanes

As Sal already said in an earlier thread on this subject, this motor would be better suited to a higher speed plane, which is why I immediately thought of the Alpha series of warbirds (which are beautiful to look at too as it happens). Anyway, here are the specs for the motor as posted on RCU:
You know, I did not realize this was Sal's forum when I jumped in to help. Seems Sal is addressing your needs, so I will step out.

Good luck with your selection of planes.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:21 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

No problem....I didn't mind!