Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Motor troubles

Old 02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
hammerit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor troubles

Brand new to this. I bought a Yak 54 3d ARF, I am useing a old Focus 6 Hitec transmitter,Hitec Supreme 3500 series HFD-08RD Reciever, 4 Hitec HS55 servos,E-flite 25 amp brushless ESC, Thunder power LIPO 2100mah 11.1volt battery pack, Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor 1020Kv. The servos work fine-I think everything is connected properly to the reciever 1-ailerons 2-elevator 3-throttle 4-Rudder The problem might be in the programming of the ESC. I followed the instructions but still no motor running!! have tried many times on this-getting frustrated. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 AM
supi7
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Motor troubles

Make sure the trim on the Throttle is set all the way down, some ESC's will not arm if they are not at the lowest point.

Also try another ESC if you can get one or ask for help at local Hobby store.

Best Wishes,
Dan
TrueRC
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
salnsp

I agree with Dan on this (thanks Dan). The programming and setup is the problem. Make sure you have the ESC plugged into the thrittle channel and that you have the throttle all the way to the the bottom (lowest value). Try moving the trim as dan suggested. If this does not work I would try reversing the throttle channel.

If these suggestions do not work, get back to me here.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:30 AM
hammerit

I spent most of the day (sunday) going from one possibility to the next. Several hours of trying everything i finally heard the sweet sound of buzzing (Finally) Now how did this happen? Another half hour later it all came together. The throttle channel had to be reversed on the transmitter when arming the motor. The only problem is the motor runs backwards. If i switch the transmitter and move the throttle real fast, at the same time, i can achieve the correct spin (scarry to do this) but it seems the only way to get the motor armed.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
salnsp

Please! Do not try to run the motor backwards by flipping the throttle! The simple solution is to switch any two of the wire between the motor and the ESC. This will reverse the rotation. Since the motor is brushelss it can rotate in either direction (no timing issues)