Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Balance tabs for LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:58 PM
stickman/vic
My Feedback: (85)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance tabs for LiPo

I just made the leap into LiPo batteries and bought some at the Perry gig that were older than I realized. They have no balancing tabs on them and I was wondering if there's any way to retrofit them. They are Thunder Power 7.2 1900 mAh batteries and the oldest was built in July of 04. I noticed it had only 4.6 volts in it but I attributed that to being on the shelf a long time. It took a charge to 8.01 volts and I suspect a balancing problem. This was the first charge and I am using a Triton so it's easy to cycle. What do you recommend? Vic K
Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
salnsp

Default RE: Balance tabs for LiPo

The batteries are showing too low a voltage to be of any use to you. That combined with the age of the batteries, sounds like you ought to invest in newer batteries. The TP batteries that you mention are no longer in production and I belive are 2nd generation. We are on 5th and 6th generation. There is no sense starting out with batteries that have problems. The cells have too low a voltage and althought it might be possible to get them back uo to the correct voltage the chances are low and even if you do get them up the performance will suffer both from the low voltage. These batteries have some damage from sitting around at low voltage, plus the output on these batteries at best is 8C or so.

So to make a long story short, start with good batteries with good balance plugs from a reliable source.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM
stickman/vic
My Feedback: (85)

Thanks for the advice. I guess I've just eaten a bad battery. Vic Koenig
Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
salnsp

I wish I could have been positive, but an old battery, with low volatge is an unsafe combination. I would call your supplier to discuss this matter.