Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

CG info.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG info.

Sal,
I have a question about CG, is it a function of the wing only, or is it determined from the entire overall plane specs. I am flying a 1.6M elec glider, with a balsa wing, and a fiberglass fuselage. The fuse has taken its share of damage, but seemed to easily damaged, so I got out my 2oz cloth and finishing resin and layed up a coat on the outside of the fuse. It is really strong now with little weight gain, but did I change the CG, which was 50-55MM behind the leading edge. If I have how do I determine the new CG. thank You Roger
Old 04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
salnsp

Default RE: CG info.

If you know the original CG that you had before you repaired the sailplane, balance back to that CG and it will fly just like before. (perhaps a little faster due to added weight, but it's likeley that small amount will have no discernable effect).

We will try ot keep this disscusion reasonably simple, so essentially the FLYING CG is a function of the planform, which includes predominately the wing shape, airfoil, angle of incidence of the wing/tail. (lesser factors are fuselage length, and size and area of the horizontal stab and airfoil of the horizontal stab), tail moment, and front fuse length. Basically, the CG is primarily a function of the airfoil. The actual physical location as measured at the root of the wing (near the fuselage) is a function of all other factors.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 AM

sorry, looks like my first post didn't make it. Thank You Sal this answered my question perfectly!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM
salnsp

No problem.