Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Issue with new Funtana setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
dutch11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with new Funtana setup

Hey Sal. I have a new FuntanaX 100 that I have converted to electric power and I am having a problem with the setup. Hence this letter.

My electric system: (Note: all items are brand new and I flew the batteries on a friends trainer for 3 flights with no issues.)

Motor AXI 5320/28
ESC Castle Creations Phoenix 110 HV
Batts. Two Duralite 5s1p’s wired in series
Aircraft JR rcvr. & servos

My problem is that the motor will not spin up without cutting out with a screeching sound like the brake is being applied. It happened on the first test run of the motor with an 18x8E prop at about ½ throttle. At cut out my Astro Flight Super Watt Meter showed 30 ±2 amp 42 volts and approx. 1200 watts. I have also tried an 18x6 and 16x8 prop both cut out at roughly ¾ throttle, with about the same readings on the meter. A 16x6 prop will spool up to full throttle but is only drawing about 25 amps and producing 800 watts. The motor is also getting hot FAST. Thermal temp gauge showed 115 degrees after just three tries at spooling up the motor and having it cut out.

Without a prop the meter is reading 1.7 amps and 68watts at full throttle.

I have reconfigured the Phoenix 110’s Cutoff Voltage, Current Limiting, Brake Type, ect… a number of times with out success.

My last piece of evidence is the ESC is giving me ten single beeps followed by the musical tone like it is counting the cells first. Castle’s literature says it should start up with just the tone.

Can you help? I’m assuming it’s either the motor or ESC or possibly a bad solder joint that is the culprit here but I have no clue which? I had the dean’s connecters and motor to ESC soldering done by an electrical shop and they appear to be good. I have also coated all connectors with 3M Electrical Coating to rule out arcing.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Dutch