RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ask-expert-sal-electric-airplane-advice-464/)
-   -   Carbon fuselage and reception (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ask-expert-sal-electric-airplane-advice-464/5417998-carbon-fuselage-reception.html)

evan-RCU 02-14-2007 12:19 PM

Carbon fuselage and reception

I have a very small electric pylon racer that I can fit, barely, a GWS 6 channel naro with horizontal pins. This has the short antenna and hangs out the rear about 14-15" after going through the fuse 14-15". The fuse is carbon fiber. I am getting a max of 30 feet or so with the antenna down. This reciever works great in other airplanes.

What are my options?

Have the antenna routed externally?

Is there another reciever the same physical size that would give me better range?

Any recommendations? Links?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

ATCme 02-14-2007 07:52 PM

RE: Carbon fuselage and reception

Since carbon fiber conducts electricity it acts as a faraday cage and as such will impede the reciever reception. I had a problem running my antenna next to two carbon pushrods, I can't imagine how bad yours must be. The only option I see is adding an external antenna. I have seen some that are maybe 6 inches and go vertical to the fuse out a hole with a few bolts holding it in place (Kind of like what you see on cop cars, but much smaller).
ATCme [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

salnsp 02-15-2007 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I have a very small electric pylon racer that I can fit, barely, a GWS 6 channel naro with horizontal pins. This has the short antenna and hangs out the rear about 14-15" after going through the fuse 14-15". The fuse is carbon fiber. I am getting a max of 30 feet or so with the antenna down. This reciever works great in other airplanes.

What are my options?

Have the antenna routed externally?

Is there another reciever the same physical size that would give me better range?

Any recommendations? Links?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Do you mean 30 feet with the antenna off the transmitter? What is considered the normal range for your trans? Generally if the antenna can sticjk out the back 1/2 the length you should be OK. I would suggest going to a better receiver. I would think a Berg 7 would give better range and performance.

evan-RCU 02-16-2007 09:30 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I have used base loaded antennas before and would rather not on this if possible.

Antenna collapsed all the way, I should get at least 100 feet, I normally do with this reciever and my 9C Futaba in an ordinary airplane. I'll check out the specs for the Berg and see if it'll fit in the tiny space I have.

salnsp 02-18-2007 06:44 PM

The Berg is very small and this should give you the range you need.