Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Dag Autogyro

Nr.KidderminsterWorcestershire, UNITED KINGDOM
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dag Autogyro

I have 50+ years experience in rc aircraft,but am new to the autogyro.
    I have completed a DAG, and after a terminal test flight I need help. The question I need to ask first is about control orientation. Is rotor head tipped backwords towards the fin, the same as up-elevator on a conventional aircraft, and rotor head tipped forwards the same as down -elevator. The reason i ask this basic question is ,that ,on hand launching the autogyro into wind(quite strong),it started to climb steeply,and even with full down applied(rotor head tipped forwards) it continued into a vertical climb,then started to loop and go inverted, and the rest is history.!!!! This has made me wonder if the controlls were the reverse of those on a conventional aircraft,although I cant see why they should be. If not, what happened???
    The hang angle was 18 deg. forward tilt 10 deg.,rearward tilt 20 deg.,and side to side movement 15 deg...Sevos 12 kilo pull.
    Can anyone help and advise please ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dag Autogyro

I think you should go to RC Groups/ Autogyros.. There you may find DAve the designer to explain your problem.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi wwwiiizzzyyy,

I've never had a DAG, so I can't help you with the figures. But, I did have a similar result when I first started, thank goodness without the 'Exitus Effect'.
    I think you have over powered the kite resulting in an accentuated climb, thus resulting in the loop. Back off somewhat on the power before launching, and this will result in a shallower climb. Once you have achived the hight you want, back off slowly untill you have level flight.

One other thought, do you have the correct down thrust on your motor?

Best of lck.

Karl.
    Master of Kiwi Kites

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that Jim,I may well do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Karl,
    The down thrust is 6 deg,as per the plan. However,I think you have hit the nail on the head in respect of the power. From what you say about the method of flying the model,I believe I was using far to much power !!
    I was using 125 watts/lb,as I usually do on my airobatic fixed wing models. From the way you describe the way to fly the model,itwould seem to be a much softer/less power affair. I fear I have made a novice mistake of thinking that an Autogyro needs all the power it can get in order for the blades to reach a flying speed. I see now that this is not the case.
    Repairs (rebuild) are well under way, so I will have another attempt before too long.
    Thank you for your advice,and if you have more I would be glad to hear it.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What do you mean forward tilt 10 degrees? That the neutral was 10? Or the full down was 10? I think full down should be like 0 to 1 degree and neutral around 10 or11
    Modify, personalize, upgrade

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    John,
    I am in Stourport, I am more than willing to show you the set up as I have built a couple of models.

Rich