Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

Tapered Blades on MIA MTG RC Trainer Autogyro

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Tapered Blades on MIA MTG RC Trainer Autogyro

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapered Blades on MIA MTG RC Trainer Autogyro

This is the maiden flight of the Latests Tapered MIA blades on the MIA Foamboard DIY Profile RC Autogyro I had posted back in 2013 on You Tube and also at my web site. Also with same Tapered Blades on the MIA MTG Boxy RC autogyro.

In my continued search to perfect and arrive at a MIA trademark look with all the components to what I believe should be a trainer RC autogyro, and to make blade manufacturing easier and not resort to the old fashion method of sanding rectangular blades with the typical Clark-y airfoil, that every RC autogyro enthusiast has used on their RC autogyros posted in RC forums and on You Tube, including myself, I came up with a new innovative way.

I was so excited when I built these blades, there is something of a gutt feeling you get when you know you're on a right path and in testing these blades under a fan, I knew I had something worth trying on an RC Autogyro. I had done many similar blades over the years for Rubber Powered, Electric Free Flight and full RC Controlled Micro, Sub Micro and Palm Size Helicopters, so I had a good start, but more work was required to make them work with an RC Autogyro, models that constantly beg for blade aerodynamic self autorotative efficiency to lift off easy, stay afloat, and be easier to control than conventional and more traditional models and blade designs.

As the MIA Tapered RC Autogyro videos shows it, the blades work extremely well. More important is that these blades do not require pre-rotators or other fancy rotor spin up methods. They have a high degree of speed while providing easy lift offs (efficiency) even in zero wind only by gently starting the rotor. Yes you can do this too with rectagular clark Y airfoil or similar autogyro blades, provided they are shaped correctly, but I personally find the tapred blades smoother and faster, faster spining blades means also more stability.

RC autogyros behave different than helicopters and require specific airfoils and other parts to work right, not only that, weight distribution, balancing and rigidity as well as flexibility of blade, depending on the specific goal of the autogyro, play an important role. There are materials and methods typically used and there are "materials and methods" used by MIA and some even yet to be tapped onto and explored.

You cannot put a helicopter blade on an RC autogyro, it simply will not work well. Understanding blade design to arrive at an efficient blade that performs under all circumstances and tests takes a bit more than simply following what everyone else does.
MIA Micro-Flight has been at the forefront of many RC innovations over 20 years on models that in the past were only a dream by many and the use of MIA taprered blades for the first time on a modern day "Trainer RC Autogyro" is just another example of this endeavor.

Check out my other video of the MIA MPG with same MIA tapered Blades.
As I mentioned in this video I will not be surprised to see more RC Autgyros employing tapered blades, but they will not be like the ones from MIA Micro-FLIGHT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLxMT0Q6uI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moExeUZbF0A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MIA MTG RC AUTOGYRO Tapered Blades.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	1972541   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIA MTG RC AUTOGYRO 1.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	1972542   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIA MTG RC AUTOGYRO.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	1972543  

Last edited by PalmSizeHeliMan; 02-25-2014 at 09:47 PM.