Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

auto gyros dont need wind question

[>:]I have been told I need as much as 10 mph winds to get my electric autogyro up, now I have seen videos of electric flying in zero wind inside gyms? whats the reasons for some needing wind and some not?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: auto gyros dont need wind question

HI,

A little wind makes it easier to get the blades up to autoration speed. However, if the blades are designed correctly they will spin up by hand launching at a fast walk. The lighter the blades the faster they will spin up. With no wind, I hold the gyro almost vertical and give the blades a hand spin and start a fast walk. As the blades come up to speed start tilting the nose down. When you feel the blades pulling give it a gentle launch with the nose slightly up. Most pilots tend to throw too hard or pitch the nose up to high.

Good Luck,

Phil

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It seems the wind requirement is a function of whether or not the model will ROG.
    I prefer no wind when flying off pavment where I can ROG.
    In the park with tall grass, no wind is problematic because I am too old and
    slow to run fast enough to get the rotor up to speed. With a small headwind
    I can manage.
    It all comes down to airspeed. If you are hand launching, a headwind
    gives you more airspeed with less groundspeed. This is a boon for those
    of us with a low maximum ground speed.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Kellet is to large to hand launch When I first started flying it I waited for the perfect day,10 mph wind down the runway etc. Well that happens once a year in Minnesota.So then my criteria was wind enough to get the rotor up to speed and Go Then Hal DeBolt suggested using a spinup with electric drill. Then I waited for calm days since there was no problem stopping the rotor after landing and no tip overs. Then I modified the Kellet so that I could tip the rotor foward after landing Put in another servo on the retract switch and tilt the top of the pylon down so the is no more lift and no tipovers after landing. Now I have an all weather machine I flew it once last summer with 20 to 25 mph wind I kept advancing the throttle as the rotor sped up and it rose vertically about 10 ft in front of me and I gave it full throttle and flew away The landing was almost straight down since the wind kept the rotor going and allowed a heli type landing What a blast.The answer to the question is The rotor must be up to speed regardless of the wind

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks a lot from all of you now its starting to make sense, but Ill have to agree with mnowell129
    about the ROG I would rather do that than to hand launch,most of my electric airplanes I ROG however the gliders I hand launch,Suzonka

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do autogyros fare in heavy breezes? I live in the UK, the windiest country in Europe, and have always wanted to build a gyro of small park flier size (200g AUW?). However i always thought that thyey would be more easily affected by winds than conventional planes. My gyro would be ot twin rotor configuration, if that makes a difference...
    Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking
    about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gaffspan

How do autogyros fare in heavy breezes? I live in the UK, the windiest country in Europe, and have always wanted to build a gyro of small park flier size (200g AUW?). However i always thought that thyey would be more easily affected by winds than conventional planes. My gyro would be ot twin rotor configuration, if that makes a difference...
    Define "heavy breeze".
    My single rotor designs do pretty well in wind up to their max flight speed. The two rotor variety
    seem to struggle, especially in gusty situations. Crosswinds tend to slow one of the rotors down
    more than the other so they work best when keep up to speed.
    I fly in 10-15 knots often enough, but its not my preference.
    mickey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darn i didnt realise that my typing was that bad

Heavy breeze is probably anything above 10-15mph: i come from a free flight/ indoor background, and the heaviest aircraft i currently fly is just under 400g.

I'm pretty keen on a twin for the reasons stated earlier in the thread: also i'd like to style it like an osprey.
    Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking
    about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Model airplane news has semi-scale osprey gyrocopter plans, but it's bigger than you want.
    Flying in the wind is like everything else, you need a little more power, higher wingl oading
    and you need to keep the speed up. Otherwise you can get it done.
    The trick bit with autogyros is the max speed isn't that high so getting back upwind
    can be challenging.
    mickey