Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

AK -2 Flight Tests

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

AK -2 Flight Tests

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AK -2 Flight Tests

I have made two flights on my new Kellet It flys very well but it climbs unless the motor is down at idle It could be tail heavy or the rotor angle is not correct I have measured the pylon angle and it is correct according to the plans I have attached two pictures of my metod of measuring the hang angle Is there anyone who can use my metod and tell me what angle they have with a robart meter My angle is 8 degrees It was at 5 degrees I added some weight to the nose and increased it to 8 I will fly again tommorrow and check it out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15554.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	527526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92404.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	527527  
Old 09-20-2006, 07:04 PM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AK -2 Flight Tests

Albert,
Looks good to me.. What Blades are you using and long. I flew one at Morris that after a little while of flying it was almost unflyable, it acted like it was tail heavy.

Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 AM
tintrax

I see on the photo that the motor thrust line is quite low. Also does not appear to have much downthrust. If this is the case it will lift the nose under power. Hang angle - I simply hold the plane by the top of the mast and check that the plane hangs a bit nose down - simple but I have not had any problem in flight with excessive nose-up.
Colin Duthie
Old 09-21-2006, 01:09 PM
ALbert.S

The blades are Aerobalsa 2 3/4 by 36 I embedded a piano wire and put a layer of .040 plywood on the bottom This pretty much removed the under camber but they still lift like crazy I flew the same blades on my old one The engine has 7 degress down as shown on the plan I flew today Got a nice flight but still climbs only needed 1/4 throttle I tried changing the rotor angle in flight but did not see any change I don't think the servo had enough power to move the rotor position in flight. I put 1 lb of lead in the gas tank area to get the hang angle to 8 degrees The old one had a fake motor up front that weighed around 3/4 of a pound so the lead will stay until I get the parts to build a motorThe machine now weighs probably 10+ pounds but still lifted off in about 10 ft and climbed out great The whole flight was flown with almost all the down trim on the elevator This is the only questionable thing now Should the elevator be aligned with the center line of fuse ? Sure wish I would have measured the old one Flys great though nice and stable and controlable
Old 09-21-2006, 08:14 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Albert, That's a great looking gyro you have there. Any chance of a video of it doing it's thing in the air? I hope you can get everything worked out, sorry I can't help as I am just about ready to try my first one. It's a DAG 1 by imsofaman. There's a thread on it here somewhere. Regards, Ben
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Albert,
I was using AofA blades on a Giant Whistler (12#) and then I tryed some fiberglas blades using the SC 6042 airfoil that were 25"long and I had to put in more down trim 3 times because it was climbing too much. Then I used Aerobalsa blades stock 25" blades and it has all the lift I need. I have did loops with no problems..What I am saying is you do not have to Modify them.. But 36" is too long IMP.
Jim
Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
ALbert.S

Test flight 4 I set the elevator neutral point for more down and had a great flight until one of the pushrods for the rotor tilt came off It started in a gentle right turn which got tighter until it crashed it the soy beans. Ruined all the blades but did little else as far as damage is concerned The right push rod was bowed out because it couldn't move the rotor and the servo is so strong it just bent the rod The left push rod was perfect except it wasn't attached The maintence crew have been fired as well as the guy who suggested that push rod idea. I will try my old blades that I built from aileron stock tommorrow after I change the push rod scheme