Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

Kellett Prop Selection w/ Saito 100

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Kellett Prop Selection w/ Saito 100

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:10 PM
roger911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kellett Prop Selection w/ Saito 100

Greetings all!
I'm new to the forum, having just completed my first Autogyro. It's the Kellett from A of A, done as the YG-1B version. I'm using the Saito FA100 4-stroke. I'm wondering if anyone knows which prop would be best. This would certainly save me a lot of hassle buying all sorts of props from my hobby shop's limited selection and doing a thrust test on each. That could get expensive, as I have to enlarge the hole on each one (not exchangeable after that).

I saw in a post elsewhere on this site that a 16 x 5 seems to work. My Kellet weighs about 8 lbs (including the 1lb of lead under the fuel-tank hatch for proper hang-angle).

I'm taking it out to Phoenix for the maiden flight....hopefully they can help me not re-kit this thing prematurely.

Thanks!
Roger
Florida
Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Kellett Prop Selection w/ Saito 100

Roger,
The 16x5 may work. You do want to keep the rpm down a little but still have power to fly.. If you are going to spend the money to go to Phoenix whats $5 for another prop.
I believe you could get a PT 25 and fly it cheaper that going out west..We will be having 2 Autogyro meets in Florida early next year.

Jim
Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 PM
roger911

Thanks Jim. I love it out West, and I'm going for 2 weeks to Phoenix, San Diego, and LA. I figured as long as I'm going, I'd put the Kellett in a crate and fly it with them.

Most importantly, I'm very interested in the FL fly-in's. Do you know yet where and when? Is there a website?

Thanks again!
Roger
Old 12-29-2006, 06:27 AM
rcflyerfl

Roger,

The first fly-in is Feb. 23 &24th at the Propbusters field in Lakeland, Fl. www.propbustersrc.com
The other one is March 8th and 9th. The call it Spring Hill but that is not where it is anymore.. Look on the AMA contest site for more info.

Have fun out west.. I love it out that way to..

Jim

PS: I noticed that the web site is down right now. Friday Dec. 29
Old 12-29-2006, 10:06 AM
roger911

Wow. That's fantastic. I'll bring my Kellett 1/5th scale YG-1B (if I don't crash it between now and then!) Thanks for the info.

Roger
Port St. Lucie, FL
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 16/5 is the best prop I have flown my 1st Kellet 222 flights with a 16/5 and a O.S. 91 four stroke My second Kellet has a O.S.91 two stroke with a 16/6 It moves !!!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:04 PM
rcflyerfl

Roger,
I checked my SNJ (AT 6) with the Saito 100 and it has a 15-6 , but that is more for that type of plane.. Still say the 16- 5 or 6 will work OK.

Like to see you come over.. I have been to the Warbird meet there and a nice bunch of guys.

Jim
Old 12-30-2006, 07:26 AM
roger911

Al & Jim, Thanks for the replies. Jim, I'll be there!

Roger