Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

PTGyro Video

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

PTGyro Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:58 PM
floridagyro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTGyro Video

Hi,

Just got the video of the PTGyro flying with the swashplate control. It was a little too windy so it was a short flight but the gyro was handling it better than I was.

http://www.auav.net/sh/ptgyro.html

Phil
Old 04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
ottogiro58

Default RE: PTGyro Video

Hi Phil, Cool video. What size PT is this, the big one or the 1/2 A version ?? Looks like there is potential......... Charlie Anderson
Old 04-14-2007, 07:33 PM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Looked good Phil.. What was that sprial down it did..?

Jim
Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Jim, Maybe it was wind shear.............it's been gusty today. Charlie
Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 PM
floridagyro

Hi,

Yes, it was very gusty today and I was a little nervous. I was going down wind and I made the turn back into the wind and it just spun around. The PTGyro is the original first gyro that came out and it's a lot smaller than the PT25. Now that I have Begi and the PTGyro flying with the same head I can make some comparison. The PTGyro is considerably more stable. Mickey suggested that I remove the horizontal stab and I probably will try reducing the size first and see what happens.

Overall, I'm very happy with the way it handles and the pre-rotator solves a lot of problems. I would encourage anyone else to try the conversion as I think you will be very pleased. I know by some, it may not be considered a pure autogyro, however I just enjoy the flying and attention that it gets.

Jim, I thought you had a couple of Mickey's gyro. How do you think they compare with the 3 flapping blades.

Phil
Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Phil,
In a few words, more responsive... But remember the Tennesse boys built TRAINERS ..Thus PT

Jim
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
JoelW

Hello Jim and Phil,

In my opinion the PT Gyro Can be made to be very responsive perhaps just as responsive as Mickey's designs if a few changes are made to the PT's.
My own version of the PT25 is extremely responsive and will do a snap roll, loop, barrel roll, and extremely tight spiral. It still won't fly inverted and may never because I'm not that brave or stupid. All a person needs to do is increase the pitch and roll deflection to the rotor head and increase the rudder area and deflection to about 45 degrees. I also moved the rotor pivot point aft about 3/4 inch which required the rotors to be shortened as well. The rotors now rotate faster besause I'm using a 2" blade instead of the 2 3/8" blade.
You're right Jim, the PT was designed as a primary trainer and is perhaps the best trainer on the market in spite of the lack of commercial advertisement by the guys from Tennessee. The PT series can be made more responsive and much more fun with a few changes as I indicated above once a person is confident and experienced with the autogyro and the different way it handels compared to fixed wing trainers.

Joel
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
floridagyro

Hi Joel,

I agree, you can do some things to the PT to make it more responsive, however I've always flown it with 2" wide SG6042 blades, however it's flying now with only two blades 2" shorter than the original. After seeing Mickey fly his gyros I had to put a swashplate control on to see for my self. Yes you can roll and loop but the response is still not the same, however that may not be important to some. Also, I think I really enjoy the pre-rotator the most as I can taxi out and unless the cross wind is really bad I'm not even concerned.

Phil