RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AutoGyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/autogyros-191/)
-   -   Autogyro Kits & Plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/autogyros-191/2140703-autogyro-kits-plans.html)

Wringer 09-02-2004 11:45 AM

Autogyro Kits & Plans

Have been flying fixed wing for a number of years, but am new to this type of R/C and am looking for a kit(s) and/or plans available for an auto gyro in the .40-.46 engine size. All I have seen so far have been much smaller or much larger. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick

billf 09-02-2004 12:01 PM

RE: Autogyro Kits & Plans

Hello Dick...

Here's a thought: Get a "20-sized" trainer. Then visit Jim Baxter's site www.autogyros.com and Rick Anderson's site, www.gyronuts.com for information on how to build a mast with side-to-side tilting rotor. If you can get a hold of Phil Ploof who lives not far from Tampa, he can give you lots of information on converting a regular free flight trainer type to an autogyro.

The side-to-side tilt functions just like the ailerons on a regular trainer.

The reason for starting with a 20-size trainer is that it will need a .40 size engine to overcome the increased drag that the rotor causes.

Hope this helps.

Bill

billf 09-02-2004 12:07 PM

Oops!

Dick...
I just checked the web sites for you to check and found that Jim Baxter's address is: www.autogyro.com and sad to say, Rick Anderson has terminated his.

You have possibly noticed that there is a fly-in at Spring Hill in Feb or March each year. That is a great place to see and talk with some of the 'experts'.

Bill

Hal deBolt 09-02-2004 01:15 PM

Hi Dick and all,
Have some good news>
We all are aware that there has been a real need for a way to get started easily and well with
Autogyros. We have spent the past year investigating this need and finding a proper solution.
That need was accomplished in what is felt to be an excellent manner and Model Airplane News
agreed to publish the results for your benefit.
Good news is that the Giro Plane project will be in the January 2005 issue out Dec. 2004
Hopefully you will find our effort fills your need and is to your liking!
Good luck,

Hal deBolt

ottogiro58 09-02-2004 04:58 PM

Good luck to all my fellow gyronauts in Florida !!

Hi Gang !!! Just a quick word to all my friends in Florida. Good luck in dealing with this dangerous storm (Hurricane Frances). I wish you all the best. Pray for a miracle that keeps the storm out to sea. Regards, Charlie Anderson

Wringer 09-02-2004 06:05 PM

Billf,

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how I made out.

Again, Thank you,

Dick

Wringer 09-02-2004 06:16 PM

Hal,

Thanks for the reply. I will follow up on that. Also, I was going to contact Cliff Manspeaker, but I can't find his e-mail address. I went over to the Fun Fly at Potter's Field last February and that kind of got the fire started. Hope to meet you personally some day.

Thanks again,

Dick Sloggett

Hal deBolt 09-21-2004 06:31 PM

Hi Dick.
If you are in Tampa you are in our area.
There are 3 excellent designs and plans for entry into Autogyros that
would seem to fit your desires.
Interested? Give me an Email buzz and we can discuss them, OK?
Good luck!

Hal [email protected]