RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AutoGyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/autogyros-191/)
-   -   Help Keep Autogyro's on the main page (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/autogyros-191/67712-help-keep-autogyros-main-page.html)

Bischp 03-03-2002 01:45 PM

Help Keep Autogyro's on the main page

Hi Steve and Everyone on the forum, Please help keep this forum on the main page by sending in a post of your Autogyro experience. I fly the A of A C.4 Our club currently has two C.4's and one Kellet and the interest is growing. Lets hear from others out there and post some pictures of your autogyro's. Hints and tips for successful flights might prove to benifit those who are just starting out and having difficulty getting their Autogyro's airworthy. Anyone out there who had been just following along like my self we need to hear from you. Let's keep this forum alive! ........ Paul

Steve T. 03-04-2002 01:01 AM

Help Keep Autogyro's on the main page

Thanks for your support, Paul. Like you suggested, those already flying the toy autogyros can use this forum to post their experiences. Anyone getting started with autogyros or simply interested please feel free to use this forum for any and all of your questions.

(I can readily see there are enough experienced autogyro pilots already on this forum to create a solid foundation of experience.)

trannybuffy 10-15-2003 04:07 PM

RE: Help Keep Autogyro's on the main page

[I have been experimenting with pusher type (wallis & Benson) type Gyros for two years now and not had a good flight yet. I did get a contra rotating, ALS GYRO, from the RCM&E plan flying but a bit tricky. I can be contacted on [email protected] for a write up and photos and exchange ideas. I have had help from full size Gyro pilots including the famous Ken Wallis.

rcflyerfl 10-16-2003 05:45 AM

[8D]I guess I better add my 2 cents in here and say that I have built a few Autogyros and that my Gyraces and the BIG Whistler from Rick Anderson are the ones I injoy the most.
I am working on JIm Baxter Simple G and Sparky.. Wanting to play with some small light weight electrics. May or may not have sucess but I injoy trying.

It still looks like a GO for Muncie in 04

allmetal plane 10-16-2003 11:32 AM

Yes!!

I agree!!, the only thing is because of the engineering and the hard work involved building a rotary wing flying machine, I do not call autogyros "toy"" but that is just my humble opinion. I think all of you are doing a wonderful job, I would like to congratulate Steve for his enthusiasm and dedication to help people in their autogyro projects.

I still have to test fly my own autogyro, because of my constant traveling overseas, I have not been able to do it, but I will let you all know

allmetalplane

tintrax 10-16-2003 01:59 PM

My experience is that any average pilot can fly an autogyro, but not a beginner! I am the only autogyro flier within 1000 miles of here (as far as I know). At the age of 69 and after many years of flying fairly gentle type r/c aircraft I decided to try autogyros as these things had interested me for years - not the twin rotor,small winged style but the `Cierva` type. Studied the internet, and then designed my own. Now flying well. is on my website page.
Something else - Steve`s use of the word `toy` may bother some. does not worry me too much, as I am interested in toy trains (not scale models) & use the word all the time. But remember the movie `Flight of the Phoenix`? The aircraft designer turned out to be a model plane designer, and when Jimmy Stewart poo pooed him and called them toys the designer replied that toy planes were something that a small child pulled around the floor on a string!
Colin Duthie (in New Zealand)

billf 10-18-2003 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: rcflyerfl

[8D]

It still looks like a GO for Muncie in 04
Jim...

Do you have the dates available yet?

Bill

Spindizzy 10-19-2003 03:16 AM

Hello Folks

My own 3 pence sterling ( two cents approx)

I started on gyros with a Jim Baxter Simple G. Easy to build and it flew great when I learned how to keep some air between it and the ground.
Since those early days I have built 3 gyros of my own design, two of which flew very well and one which even though it flew superbly I still managed to turn it in to confetti by not paying attention at all times.

The gyro I flow the most these days is a slightly modified Huff & Puff, an excellent pusher design by Rick Anderson.

Currently under construction is my own design co-axial model for .10 size engines. I once built a co-axial type similar to Al's gyro and it was the easiest to fly gyro I have ever flown.

I started a new posting for folks to show images of what models they have. I probably should have used this posting but if you folks want to show some images of what you fly then you might consider clicking here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Gyro...1210488/tm.htm

Sean

P.S Toy or model , tomato tomaaato. ;)

rcflyerfl 10-19-2003 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,
I believe it will be the weekend after Labor Day.
See you There and Spring Hill.

Now to tell you what I built and flew today.
I took a GWS Electric Slow Flyer and flew it 4 times today all ROG.
I am using a 6"x20" blue foam wing for stability, Jim Baxter, Delta hub assm.,as I am building a Sparky? Simple G, 16" blades from Mike Smith in Il.? The plylon is from a Gyro Shick ..It weights 22oz. It was a thrill to fly as it was too windy for the Slow Flyer.
I will call it the Slow Gyro. I will try for a in flight pic soon..
Couldn't sleep last night so at 4:00 I got started.

Hal deBolt 10-23-2003 08:31 PM

Hi ya'll,
It would be great to have more using Autogyros?
Experience suggests competition draws participants and onlookers who become
potential joiners to the activity.
Autogyros has no competition activity. Such could be both interesting and a help.

So, we have put together a TENATIVE Gyro maneuver schedule (pattern). Your
thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

Autogyro Competition maneuver schedule

All maneuvers relate to the pilot choosen reference point ( R point)

1. Take off distance from R
2, 250 ft straight flight from R
3. 90 deg left turn
4, 260 deg right turn
5. straight flight to R
6. at R> a horizontal figure 8
7. straight low slow flight
8. Hover
9. touch and go at R
10. Hover to a vertical decent
11. Stall turn or wing over
12. square landing pattern
13. Touch down at R
14. Landing roll distance
15. Taxi to R

This tenative competition plan will be an optional event at 2004 Spring Hill meet.
and all others are urged to try it and add it to their events
Good idea or no?

Hal deBolt [email protected]

Hal deBolt 10-23-2003 08:52 PM

Hi ya'll,
Me again?
Do believe I need to speak for the coming AUTOGYROS OVER SPRING HILL meet
The Hernando Aero Modelers provide a great and fine effort to offer this major
2 day event plus it is followed by a VR/CS vintage reunion. 4 days total!
The past two events have had outstanding Gyro people and the sky has been
full of whirling wings. An accomplishment was during he last two days of constant
flying there was only two pilot induced mishaps, a new record?
The 2004 event promises to be even better in all respects and the club would
like to personally invite some Autogyro key people.

Do consider this a personal invation to the following for attendance

Jim Baxter
Rick Anderson
Steve Tillson
Bill Friedlander

You would be surprised what southern hospatality can be!
Plus your attendance would put the icing on an already delicious cake!

Your friends and hosts> the Hernando Aero Modelers

information> [email protected]

suggested by Hal deBolt

tintrax 10-24-2003 02:16 PM

Too far for me to attend, but it would be great for a lone flyer such as myself who has never seen any autogyros flying, other than my own! Oddly the event is at Spring Hill, and I live in Springhill Street, Christchurch, New Zealand!
Regards, Colin Duthie
ps - went flying a couple of days ago, two flights - each time the old OS.35 cut after a minute and the autorative landing was a bit heavy the second time, causing the tailplane to crack, but all fixed now.

trannybuffy 11-07-2003 05:30 PM

Next year i hope to have 2 gyro flyins at Shipdham flying club in Norfolk UK with Woody De Sar and the famous Ken Wallis organizing the events. this year about 6 gyros were there plus full size, and trips for those brave enough. If anyone is keen leave a reply . How can I send pics of my Gyros on this site?.

charlie111 07-09-2013 04:53 AM

There is Nobody that Believes is Self Rotation than Me ! Check Out a New twist to an Old concept an (Electric self rotating wing.I believe it could Lift a Small E.V. So why not Use it for a Cockpit as well as a Power Supply? Unplug and Drive off.Leaving the Rotating Wing at the Airfield! Glad to Hear Pos. Talk Todays Heli's are just to (Dyslexsic) to ever be Efficiante.This is the Way of the Future Check it Out Either Here or on Twitter charles Glazebrook