Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Revashley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo questions

Hey all, I'm really new to electric gear all together as I have always had Nitro... I ordered a couple of lipos and a balance/charger for one of my electric boats. I know this lipo setup will work with the stock motor and esc. What I need to know is about lipo maintenance. What is the balance aspect of the charger, and why do you need to balance them? What other maintenance do lipos require? PLEASE, talk to me like you would a 4 year old with a lipo in his hand...LOL... I'm a super noob with this stuff... Lastly, any other Lipo do's and don'ts you could contribute would rock... Thanks in advance..
Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 PM
waxtailor

Default RE: Lipo questions

This article may help a bit, really take great care on lipo, you can search many lipo accidents via google

http://blog.rc-fever.com/2010/09/lipo-battery-guide/
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Most Lipos (anything starting at 7.2v 2S packs) are made up of multiple cells.

Lipo cells don't like to be over charged or over discharged. ESC cut off, and most chargers, deal with total pack voltage, so if you have 3 cells, one is high, one is low, then the low cell will be over discharged, and the high cell over charged each cycle, and it will get worse each charge/discharge cycle.

Balancing makes sure all the cells are the same voltage when balancing or charging. Its nice to do every charge but every 3 or 4 cycles is fine if you're using a separate balancer.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Revashley

Hey guys, thanks for the advice... The whole lipo thing is a tad intimidating when you are clueless...LOL... So thanks for the advice. If anyone else has any other advice by all means feel free to add it Thanks again