Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Frustrated Triton Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:25 PM
acroguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated Triton Owner

I have many different brands of chargers and the Triton charger, on paper, sounds like a charger that would do it all. I liked the fact that the Triton gave me a reading of what was taken out of the pack and what went in. My problem is I have not been able to get the Triton to fully charge my NiMH batteries. I have tried to charge 4 & 5 cell, 2150 & 2700 NiMH batteries and have never had an indication of a fully charged battery. If I charge any of my batteries on my "Sirius" Limited Edition dual charger, I get 95 to 105% capacity when I discharge on the Triton at C/5. When I then try to charge these batteries after a discharge cycle on the Triton, it shuts off at a false peak around 20 to 30% capacity. I have the max charge greater than the rated capacity, timer set to 999 minutes, peak sensitivity now at 10mv/cell, ignore false peaks for 15 minutes, charge rate from 1.0 to 2.0 amps, definatly on the NiMH setting, Triton running on a 15 amp regulated power supply.
I sent the first Triton back to GP due to the above problem and they sent me a new unit. The new unit is acting exactly the same and the original unit. I can't believe the 8 packs or so I am trying to charge are the problem. Is there a setting I am missing or is the Triton the problem?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:01 AM
RMARZ
My Feedback: (5)

Default TRITON CHARGER

I am having the exact same problem.
Does yours have a green 1/4 " sticker dot on the back?
This indicates the latest software version.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:43 AM
acroguy

Default Triton Sticker

Both Triton's have had the green 1/4" sticker on the bottom
Old 08-04-2003, 09:34 PM
acroguy

Default Triton Wiring

I am charging my packs at 1.0 amps and have tried 1.5 & 2.0 amps with the same results.
My charging plug is made from a HD extension (22 gauge & 24" long) and soldered to the banana plugs.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:55 AM
DGipson

I'm also a frustrated Triton owner......
Comment:
RE Triton charger....I'm having same problem w NiMH packs as several of you...50mah into a 150 mah 4-cell pack, 19mah into individual 150mah cell.. this thing is telling me all my packs are "bad".

Questions:
1) Has anybody had any luck with this unit..or is this another work in progress? Conveyed my frustration and request for assistance to greatplanes...just received an email from them telling me to ship it back if "I" think the thing is bad. This is great customer support....

2) My unit does not have a green dot on the bottom...I presume the lack of a "dot" this indicates version 1 (software)...How does one get the latest software installed...does this mean my lil troublemaker needs a trip back to the factory? Will a new brain help or will it just be more "straw in the head of the scarecrow"?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:27 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Please don't throw any batteries towards me. Mine seems to work fine and it does not have the pretty sticker on the bottom. I charge both NiCAD & NiMH batteries. My NiCADs are 2400 mAh sub-c, the NiMH are 2700 mAh A size, and one NiMH 1100 2/3A battery. I use 20 ga wire for everything. I'm not sure if I am going to send it in for the updated software.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:15 PM
DGipson

no batteries will be thrown.....I'm in the process of charging some larger cells rather than my lil park flyer packs. I will also see if greatplanes will tell me what fixes are in the "latest" software to see if its worth sending back...

Have you done any small 4 or 8 cell (50-300mah) packs?

thanks
DG
Old 08-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Dylwad
My Feedback: (11)

ive charged everything from 50-3000 mah nicad nimh 1-20 cells, lipoly lead acid and li-ion, never a problem, i dont use the memory feature either though, that might be where some problems are coming from.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:05 AM
corvetkid

Well folks I jointed the ranks of the un-happy Triton owners today. I have been happily charging NiCAD's and just tried a new
12 cell NiNH pack. Well after 4 attempts I could only get the 3000 mah pack to take a 1000 mah charge. So I plugged in my 2400 mah
pack and now the Triton won't power up, nothing no beeps or display. Good thing I kept the sales slip. Its going back for warranty repair.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:30 PM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Frustrated Triton Owner

After 4 years of using my Supernova, I have two NIMH TX packs (1500MAH) that I could charge at 1.0 to 1.5 amps and not have any false peaks. I now must charge them at .4 amps to get a full charge otherwise any higher and it false peaks. I ordered the Triton and have had nothing but the same problems as above. False peaks at 20-30%, it just gives me no confidence in my batteries. I've also had (On the triton) NICD's false peaking too, never on the nova'

If you change the nova to NICD and charge the NIMH's they charge right up at 1.0 to 1.5. The do get a little warm, but they did when on NIMH too. Am I destroying my NIMH doing this ? Is it possible that the NIMH after use or even certain packs develop a stronger drop in voltage causing the NIMH setting to false peak ?

I am starting to wonder why I decided to try NIMH packs instead of the NICD's which always work.

Any thoughts, right now I think I'm gonna send the triton back and get some more NICD RX packs. No faith in my NIMH RX packs right now.

S1
Old 04-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Pilotsmoe

Default RE: Triton Wiring

that wire is a little thin for 2 amps. You should use 18 gauge wire
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Triton Wiring

IMHO, 99% of triton problems can be traced back to poor pigtails &/or power supply. keep the lengths reasonable, use good connectors, and use wire that is plenty large for the job. (22 gauge is too small) What are you using for a power supply? I've heard of people commonly using a car battery charger as a supply. BAD idea...

The green sticker isn't the way to tell if it has the new software, new ones don't have it... Bax posted a complete test to go through to check, and the updated software only solves a lipo memory issue anyway.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:33 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

For all of you using it in NiMh mode, bear in mind that the DEFAULT MAX CHARGE INPUT is set to 1000mAh - that is why the Triton is terminating the charge when it has put 1Ah into a pack that has a larger capacity than that. (pg 14 of the manual). Solution to the 'problem' is also found on that page. No problems with my Triton so far, been charging everything from 1 cell to 20 cell, 150mAh to 3300mAh NiCad and NiMh, also LiPo and Pb. One thing as noted is to use good charge leads.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:16 AM
SpitfireMKI

I've had no problems with leads and also no problems charging NIMH flight packs only RX and TX NIMH packs.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:39 PM
SpitfireMKI

Charger heading back to Tower.........sorry folks, the Supernova still rules the roost.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:04 PM
ReallyUglyStick

i'm among those who are happy with the triton. my only problem is it's sensitivity to leads. i use 16ga wire and keep my leads @ 6". i've seen all the problems described here and all have been attributed to improper setups and/or questionable leads. for the money, i don't think there's a better charger.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:44 PM
1Eye

For all of you using it in NiMh mode, bear in mind that the DEFAULT MAX CHARGE INPUT is set to 1000mAh ...
Hooray for Peter - I was wondering when somebody would break down and post the likely problem. Don't feel bad, it's one of those hidden "features" you have to be careful of. Assume nothing; when in doubt read the bleeping directions.

Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 09:19 PM
xvz12

Been using my Triton for about four months now.....nothing but smiles. I'm using a Cosel R150U power supply that I picked up from www.ramboy.com, & using the optional leads and temp sensor that were purchased along with the charger. So far, I've been using it on NiCd, NIMH, & gel cels, heck, I even used it to charge my motorcycle's battery once. Both flight and tx/rx batteries have been cycling at 95 -105 %. I don't have any Li-Polys at this time, so I can't comment on those. Just FYI, it does have the green sticker on it.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:29 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder how the new Accucyle Elite will compare with the Triton ?
Old 05-02-2004, 06:57 AM
ReallyUglyStick

judging by the specs posted by AMCross in the product announcements forum it looks like the Accucycle Elite won't really compare. Unless i missed something, it looks like the AE charges less cells in all chemistry. it does come ac/dc ready, but that doesn't mean much to me. i sincerely hope i've missed something because it listed as retailing for $169. Less charger for more money? it does say it has easy programming, but again, not something that interests me. maybe there's a market for it, but i think they need to come down in price....

btw, this is just my thoughts based on what i've seen, nothing more.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Outrunner2
My Feedback: (23)

After looking at a few Triton chargers, reading the specs and owning a GP double vision charger,
I really like the igniter charger on the Double Vision. So, in my search for a new
LCD readout charger, I've chosen the Futaba CR 2000 with igniter battery charging along
with TX and RX batteries. Check it out guys.
Whiplash