Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

some new toys, anyone elses charger dip for a second before resuming higher amp charging?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

some new toys, anyone elses charger dip for a second before resuming higher amp charging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM
maddmatt02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some new toys, anyone elses charger dip for a second before resuming higher amp charging?

well, got an order from newegg and one from hobbypartz.

I got an antec 350W PSU on sale and converted it last night to run my charger. pretty easy except I have wires routed through a hole where the fans power wires run then out the back to the resistor zip tied to the outside. there was no spot on the inside to mount it where there would be any air flow past it. I just electrical taped the leads and solder joint (cant find my heat shrink). also skipped the LED, and also just shorted the power on to ground without the switch because mine has a master switch on it already.

got it all done and hooked the charger(supermate DC6) up and charged my new lipo just to see if it all worked. the battery is a 5000mah 2S 20C hard case. I picked 20C because I seen a review of the motor I picked (well, same line of motors, not the same kv) and it averaged around 50A I think it was, and peaked at drawing 100A in the ST it was tested in, and my battery should be able to produce that constantly, so even if the motor i have draws alot more, it should still handle it with its 250A burst rating (battery says 20C/50C burst unlike the 20/30 or 30/40 Ive seen on a few other cheaper lipo packs)

anyways, charging at 5A, battery hit about 8.4, then the amperage started dropping, 4.9, 4.8, etc... around 4.5 I noticed it drop to 1.6 real quick then went back up to 4.5, I noticed it once more around a 3.8A charge. definitely could have done it more, I sat with it the whole time, but didnt watch the readout non stop. anyone else noticed there charger do that before? and I though the battery was supposed to get warm, it was on there for over 45 minutes and was just as cool as it was when I put it on the charger.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: some new toys, anyone elses charger dip for a second before resuming higher amp charging?

The pack shouldn't get warm. The cv stage of charging should smoothly drop current until c/10 or whichever point it turns off and is considered full. If the voltage fluctuates then possibly there's a bad connection. Wiggle during charge to verify voltage up and down. It should be very smooth.

If it is just a spike and is consistant then it may be measuring IR or open voltage. I'm not aware that it is supposed to do that.