Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123 Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123 Newbie Questions

Need some help sorting this out; I have used NiMH Batteries for years; first off, what are the advantages in using A123 over NiMH; is A123 the same as LiFe Batteries, or what are A123 exactly?

I use 'Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Charger/Cycler', which is capable of Charging Lipo Batteries, can I use this Charger with A123 or what do I need to be able to use these Chargers or do I need another Charger for A123.

I plan on using A123 Batteries in a GS Warbird, as is typical for warbirds, the batteries can only be accessed by taking the wing off; not a problem with NiMH, you can leave them in the Plane with or without the wing on to charge; what about A123, do you have to remove them from the Plane to Charge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Highflyer2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: A123 Newbie Questions

Hey Canada,

Check out this link. It is to Hangtimes Hobbies A123 faq. Steve has posted everything you'd ever want to know about A123's.

http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_batter...iants_faq.html

And here is the setup guide:

http://www.hangtimes.com/a123rxsetup.html

Happy New Year

John
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Capt Lou

Dastinex:

Go to this web site to read about A123's, www.hangtimes.com It is very helpful plus he is a good and reliable source of these packs.

A123 batteries are referred to as LIFE but be careful this acronym has been used on packs that are not A123's. I always go for packs that are advertised as A123.

My AccuElite does not charge A123 but it is 3years old so I don't know if the most current version of this charger can charge A123. I use the CellPro Multi4 which you can read about at www.fmadirect.com This is an excellent charger.

I charge my A123 packs while in the plane, thru the switch/jack. It is safe to do this but make sure you have a good switch/jack. I only use Electro Dynamic Ultra II heavy duty switches. You can read about them at www.electrodynam.com and also on the hangtimes web. Just remember that when you connect the wires to the switch/jack that the wire from the switch to the battery is a three (3) pole connection and from the switch to your receiver, it is a two (2) pole connection, just positive and ground, and you must disable the third pole to the RX connector. You need three poles at the battery end to balance charge the A123 pack. Also, the Ultra II is rated for 4 AMP charge so don't exceed this. The CellPro Multi4 charges at 4 Amps so it is ok but some pilots like to reduce this to 3.5 Amps which takes a few more minutes to charge.

These batteries are great. Now, they are the only battery pack I use in my planes. I have 4 giant scale planes that use 2300 mah packs and have never had an issue with them. They are good and reliable and charge real quickly. The only negative about them is that you can't measure the drop in stored voltage over time as you use them; however, I compensate for this by re-charging them every 5-6 flights at which time I still have about 80% of their rated capacity. Once you learn about them and start using them, youl won't go back to NIMH's or NICADS.

Capt Lou
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM
dasintex

Capt Lou/HighFlyer;

Thanks for the info; lets say I went with a FMA CelPro Multi4 or step up to the CellPro 10S; and since I currently only use Hangtime NoBS Battery Packs; help me with the A123 packs they sell, I use a Smart-Fly Power Expander with battery share therefore I would get dual 1100 or 2300ma 6.6 packs but I get confused as to the Charge Node/Tap Connector and the Pack Power Feed Connector Options that will work with one of the Chargers I listed above; I plan on using these in a GS Warbird and I would like to Charge/Balance through a Charge Jack/Port because the Batteries may not always be accessable to charge without having to remove the wing; same for ignition battery, probably use the 1100ma 6.6 ignition pack; not sure what connectors to order and also what connectors/leads to order from FMA as they offer several, I need to get the right stuff to work with what I have described, also, I have Futaba 2.4 stuff.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to charge through the charge jack with a Cell pro you'll have to have the custom charging cable made up. The Cellpro is a 5 pin and the charge jack is a Fut/JR 3 pin.

And Like Capt Lou said, cut that third wire between the switch and the receiver or ignition. It can't be connected (white for Futaba).
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 AM
dasintex

JoeAirPort; Thanks for the PM, I have talked around a bit more about A123's and Cell Pro users; the ability to access the batteries for charging does not appear to be an issue considering how long A123's keep a usable charge, I feel that once the wing is put on you don't need to worry about re-charging for that day considering the 1 to 3 flights I normally do on one session/day; therefore I can charge using the FMA Balancing Node/Tap on the Batteries which would be inside the Fuse once back home, etc. Other than that I think I have these A123's figures out. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Deans 3-pin charge jacks that are wired to my packs. I like this because I don't have to remove the canopy at home when I balance charge. I only charge at home though. I get 4-6 flights on my single 2300's and that's enough flying for me for one day (88" Yak and Extra). In a year I never had to re-charge at the field. Only the first time out to measure how much mah per flight.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Capt Lou

I wish I could help you with your power expander question but I have never used one so I can't address your question. My recommendation is if you have a particular, contact Steve at Hangtimes. He will only accept and respond by email but he is very responsive and helpful. FMA's technical dept is also very helpful and they will deal with you over the phone.

Regarding the node connector, it contains the third wire needed for balancing. Hangtimes and FMA sells them. I purchased my node connector with a JR connector end that allows me to chrage directly thru my ULTRA II switch/jack. There is no need to remove the pack from the plane if you wire everything correctly thru the jack. I also use separate switches for each A123 pack. I also use a separate pack for my ignition system. As a result, I have one 2300 mah pack for the ignition, and two separate packs for the RX, each with their own switch/jack. Some people say this overkill but I rather be safe than sorry. Just remember to disable the third wire on all three switches.

Capt Lou
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 AM
dasintex

Considering that I'm a Scale Warbird Guy, I wanted to eliminate any Ports, hatches, etc; that I can; the A123's allow this, because I don't need any Charge ports on the fuse surface, I can wait till I get home when the wing is off the Fuse and access the Batteries and Charge/balancing leads inside the fuse, a great solution; I have ordered a couple of FMA CellPro 4S Gold Chargers; and from WrongWayRC I ordered the A123's(2X2300 and 1X1100).