Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

turnigy li-po batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
emederos
My Feedback: (78)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turnigy li-po batteries

can anyone say if they have used turnigy lipo batteries and can tell me the power they deliver and life of the battery, i want to try one but i keep getting mixed opinions of these batteries
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Vic Z

Default RE: turnigy li-po batteries

Nothing wrong with them. Great  bang for the buck. I've heard of an occasional bad one, but at $20ish apiece you'd still be way ahead of the curve.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I've had good luck with them. Two packs got badly banged up in a crash and I figured they die quicklynope. They are still putting out 90% capacity three months and man flights later.
Walt
Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM
bgosselin

In my experience; if they work for the first few cycles, they will be fine for many more. I've had two packs where there was a single bad cell and it showed up right at the first or second cycle. I replaced the bad cells (from a 3s pack I got specifically for the cells) and those packs have been fine ever since (a 4s and 5s 5000mAh pack).
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
emederos

im going to give them a shot what is there to lose (besides money)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than on the heavier side, they are fine.

Bgosellin,

What type of cell do you use to replace the bad one? I have a pack in which one cell was slow to take charge. The problem was on and off. I am considering replace the bad cell.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
emederos

have you tried cycling the battery a few times?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
nonstoprc

Yes. The problem is that the charger does not like the cell and switches to slow charge mode. I once let it finish the slow charge. It happened again after the battery is used. Hence I am considering replace the cell. One the cost side, it probably makes more sense to replace the entire pack.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
bgosselin

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Bgosellin,

What type of cell do you use to replace the bad one? I have a pack in which one cell was slow to take charge. The problem was on and off. I am considering replace the bad cell.
I just got another 3s pack of the same type/capacity. The packs come apart pretty easily since they attach the cell tabs to a PCB. Just be sure not to use too much heat for too long when dissembling/assembling them.

Also, replacing the outside cells is much easier than an inside cell. Luckily for me, the bad cell in question on both packs was the outer most negative one.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
emederos

wow thats insane to replace a cell, just replace pack to be on the safe side. I installed my power 32 motor and 60 amp esc today on my mentor which i was previously using a 3s set up, MAN what a difference from 3s to 4s, i was not expecting this power.....
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
bgosselin

Yeah, normally I would just replace the pack. But it was brand new and had only one bad cell. So, I figured I'd try it. I don't mind this type of work, so it was no big deal. For others a little more nervous about soldering raw cells or soldering in general, I would recommend just to replace the whole thing.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How did you do the soldering? I had one with a DOA cell and I managed to get the cell desoldered from the board, but then I couldn't get it back together. I've done some electrical soldering before and don't mind it. Are you supposed to use a special solder on those tabs?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 AM
bgosselin

I just used regular solder. But I did use a 60w iron with a chisel tip. Gets hotter and hold heat longer so you don't have to apply heat for long.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM
nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: bgosselin

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Bgosellin,

I just got another 3s pack of the same type/capacity. The packs come apart pretty easily since they attach the cell tabs to a PCB. Just be sure not to use too much heat for too long when dissembling/assembling them.

Also, replacing the outside cells is much easier than an inside cell. Luckily for me, the bad cell in question on both packs was the outer most negative one.

The bad cell in my pack is the one in the middle. Should I even attempt? The pack is 5s 5000mah.