Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico LIFE discharge voltage???

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobbico LIFE discharge voltage???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico LIFE discharge voltage???

Hey,

I am trying to test my new LIFE packs capacity. All my chargers will discharge a LIFE to 2.0 volts per cell. Its not editable. The battery manual says not to discharge below 2.5 volts per cell. I called Hobbico and they said "never discharge ANY lithium battery below 3.0 volts per cell or it will swell and explode. Including LIFE."

So I guess I am confused. All the A123 and Life stuff I can find on the web says to discharge as low as 2.0 volts per cell. Hobbico says they have never heard of anything that low.

Whats the verdict?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Hobbico LIFE discharge voltage???

That is why I like to express types in numbers rather than descriptions. If we say we have a 4.2 or 3.7 termination voltage there's no doubt. The pack maker should have the info you need (both termination voltage for upper limit and lower limit) "lithium" is too broad a term. LIFE should be adequate to get an exact voltage.

I'll take a look if you would link the exact pack. I'm not at all familiar with LIFE packs , but can see that they are nominal 3.3 volts and probably terminate at 3.6 or 3.7 volts. I figured they mirror the voltages of A-123 cells. When they first came out I called them "square" a-123 packs.

One thing is for sure, a distinction needs to be made between loaded and unloaded voltage. It needs to be clear as to which one you are describing.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Hobbico LIFE discharge voltage???

I have been using A123 for almost 3 years now. Anytime I discharge them (to check capacity), I use my Triton set to "Nimh Discharge" and discharge a 2 cell pack to 5.8V at a rate of 1amp, at 5.8 volts there is not a lot of capacity left and gives me a good idea of the pack capacity. On my A123 2300mA packs, they usually discharge about 2100mA at the 5.8V discharge cutoff.