Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Batteries and Chargers

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM
jasonnewyork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries and Chargers

Last time I was in the hobby was 1991. I recently sold all my old stuff, and would like to get new. I'm leaning towards the Duratrax Evader EXT2 to get started.

My question is with batteries and chargers. Last I remember, we only had 1200mah Ni-Cds and 15 minute timer charges. I don't want to spend a lot, so plan on buying a ni-mh battery. I'm thinking of going with an Onyx 7 cell 3000mah, 6 cell is same price but less performance. What do you guys think?

As for chargers, is there a way to determine charging times? I see most of the lower end charges from Tower are in the 2-4amp range. How long would it take to charge a 7 cell 3000mah battery at 2, 3, or 4 amps? Does it take longer to charge a 7 cell battery over a 6 cell battery with the same mah capacity?

Also, how much run time should I expect with a 3000mah battery?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Batteries and Chargers

I've always figured that if one was buying a charger and batt then going lipo was the best idea. The 7 cell 3000 is ok too. For charger currents it can be thought of like this:
2 amps = 2 ah (per hr)
3 amps = 3 ah (per hr)
4 amps = 4 ah (per hr) or (2 ah pre half hr) Twice as fast as 2 amps.

At the same current , the voltage of the pack is irrelavent. With some chargers you are interested in the current will be less on 7 cells than 6 cells thus making it slower..