Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Balance charge 2s, 3s and 4s LiPo with original Triton?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Balance charge 2s, 3s and 4s LiPo with original Triton?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance charge 2s, 3s and 4s LiPo with original Triton?

Trying to get back into the hobby after a 6 yr absence and I can see my knowledge is severely lacking with regards to batteries and chargers!

Anyway, I have an original Electrify Triton charger from Great Planes. I also have a handful of 2s and 3s LiPo packs from Thunder Power and E-Flite, all with balance taps, that have never been balance charged. The Triton does not have a balance charge port. Is there a way to balance charge my batteries with the original Triton charger?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Balance charge 2s, 3s and 4s LiPo with original Triton?

There is a device called the "Blinky" which will connect to the balance plug and discharge the higher charged cells down to what the lowest cells are. However, it is very slow and you have to monitor it to make sure you do not wind up discharging below the safe voltage level. Another way (very time consuming and requires constant attention) is to charge each individual cell through the balance plug treating each cell as an individual battery until all cells have equal voltage and then finish the charge through the main connector. I would not recommend either method unless you have no other choice as; if you intend to stay in the hobby, you will need a more modern charger design.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

You may also get the GP equinox balancer that plugs into the triton. I'm not sure what size packs you have , but you may also quickly outgrow the triton's 2.5 amp max.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I would need to spend $50 or so to make the Triton work, and then it will still be limited. For a little more I can grab a FMA Cellpro 4S Gold which easily handles the batteries I'm using.

Thanks for the help!