Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

voltmeteron my spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltmeteron my spacewalker

I am finally going to fly my 1/4 scale spacewalker having built it over 2 years ago.back then I had installed one of those voltmeters to show how your battery is performing..I was adjusting my servo throws etc for a maiden flightand I noticed when I move the sticks the green light runs up and down the meter bar.the ailerons showed the most movenent and the other servos got a few green bars when I moved the control stick..when I stop the green light is good and the expanded voltmeter says its fine.soooooo when I move the sticks is that meter showing current being draw from the servo being moved.???everything seems to check out just fine..
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM
ALWAYSPDG
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: voltmeteron my spacewalker

Hey Cloudancer.

You are looking at a voltage drop not a current drop. When you move the servos it puts a load on the electrical circuit and therefore, you see a slight voltage drop as measured by your voltage monitor. This is normal.

Which voltage monitor do you have installed on your airplane?

Mike
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the nice thing about the Voltwatch or its equivalent, it tells you how much of a voltage drop occurs when you load the servos. If you see the red LED light, you know you have a problem of some sort. Could be too small a gage wiring between the battery and receiver, a poor switch (high impedance) or a battery of insufficient capacity or high internal impedance. IMHO this is a much better indicator of the health of your installation than a loaded voltmeter which will only tell you that the battery is properly charged. A Voltwatch is almost as good as having an oscilloscope reading your receiver bus.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
cloudancer03

i kind of figured that was what the voltmeter was telling me.actually the voltage drop was the most on my ailerons..I am using 645 mgh's with a y harness.the y harness is heavy duty.I will check the wirte extensions on the ailerons and likely swap the extensions for heavy duty if thats the case.stupid as it sounds would wiring each servo to a separate channel make any difference.as for the switch its a MPI heavy duty ..the battery is a 2300 nimh andf is new. nothing is binding .other than this everything seems fine.I tend to overworry ..

and its a voltwatch ..I have used them many times before and just never paid close attention other than to make sure battery voltage stays in the green.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
cloudancer03

I changed out the wires all heavy duty.probably didnt have to b ut glad I did.