Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Battery Charger/Cycler Recommendations

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery Charger/Cycler Recommendations

Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 AM
ma_mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charger/Cycler Recommendations

I am getting back into R/C after some time away and need to get my batteries up to speed. I have always used the chargers supplied with my radios, but want to upgrade to some additional features, particularly the ability to completely cycle the battery and operate as a bench charger and a field charger. At this point, I am strictly a glow/gas flier and anticipate charging NiCd and NiMh batteries. Maybe the various Lithium batteries are in my future, but it is not a pressing need. I have zeroed in on the Hobbico Accu Cycle Elite, but wanted to poll this astute group for any other units I should investigate.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Battery Charger/Cycler Recommendations

I give my vote for the elite as a very good dual radio batts charger.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 PM
jcoop65

Im looking at the elite also. my question is will it fast charge?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
guver

It will do 2 amps , but is limited in power with the stock ps. Without the stock AC ps it will do 2 amps at highest voltage on both sides simultaniously.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Whistling Death

I actually own two of these chargers and love them. It is very simple to use too.
You will be limited to 3 cells on Lithium batteries with the Elite.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on that charger, it costs too much and does too little. I'm no e-guru, but for $26 the Turnigy Accucell 6 does what I need and then some.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

It is completely programmable for cell cut-off voltage, carge and discharge current, cell type, etc etc. One of the nicest features is the ability to preform up to 5 consecutive cycles of either charge/discharge or vice-versa. This is a great way to freshen up this nicad or nimh packs. I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. It's my primary bench charger and it goes to the field with me every time. I charge my radios, planes and lipos with it.

IMHO - a $140 charger than only does one pack at a time and cannot do more than a 3S lipo is an utter and complete rip-off.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

I wouldn't waste my money on that charger, it costs too much and does too little. I'm no e-guru, but for $26 the Turnigy Accucell 6 does what I need and then some.

It is completely programmable for cell cut-off voltage, carge and discharge current, cell type, etc etc. One of the nicest features is the ability to preform up to 5 consecutive cycles of either charge/discharge or vice-versa. This is a great way to freshen up this nicad or nimh packs. I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. It's my primary bench charger and it goes to the field with me every time. I charge my radios, planes and lipos with it.

IMHO - a $140 charger than only does one pack at a time and cannot do more than a 3S lipo is an utter and complete rip-off.
To each his own but I wouldn't waste my money away on one of those cheap hobby king throw away chargers.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Capt Lou

I agree with Hemikiller. I have two Elites and they are good and work fine. However, my charges do not work on A123 batteries so I had to buy a CellPro which I highly recommend to you. The CellPro is easy to work, does all the battery technology on the market place and is less expensive than the Elite. Go to www.fmadirect.com and you will see the entire line of CellPro products.

Capt Lou
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Capt Lou's suggestion is in line with my experiences. I have 4 of the FMA Cellpro chargers (different models) and each has been great. The PowerLab series are especially nice and worth every cent IMHO. I also have an Accucycle Elite that is about 5 years old and one side quit charging about a year ago, the other output still works fine. My nephew has the same charger, bought roughly around the same time, and his did the same thing within 6 months of mine. Not sure why as neither his or mine have ever been abused. The voltage accuracy of the some of the Chinese chargers is suspect and that can be a problem if charging/balancing Lipoly's etc. There are instructions on the "net" for changing some of the electronic components to bring the accuracy up to spec. To me that too much work because for roughly the same money I can get a FMA Cellpro Multi 4 and have a very reliable charger that charges most everything. It can also be hooked to a computer (requires an additional kit) for firmware updates and for setting up the "presets" of which there are 25. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

To each his own but I wouldn't waste my money away on one of those cheap hobby king throw away chargers.

If you're averse to a Hobby King charger, then I would wholly recommend the FMA chargers.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...lpro-Multi4_88

It's still 10X the charger of an Elite at half the price.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

FMA CELL PRO CHARGERS ++++++++1
Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: dasintex

FMA CELL PRO CHARGERS ++++++++1
Yes these are very good chargers. Up to date in every way and easy to use.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Goldenduff

Hello, reading this thread with much interest. I have a imax 5 (i think)- it doesn't cycle/discharge.

I am getting more in to electric for cheeky week night flights- still glow for when I get a chance to get a longer run at things.

Anyhow, I am thinking of getting a multi charger (4 ports). I think all four port chargers can cycle/discharge but that is a must because I want to be able to check the status of batteries and revive.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My 2Cents

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

Thunder A680, charges all battery types, and does it quite well, AC/DC powered too.

Cant go wrong for $55. Though I paid less for it a while back, price has gone up since then.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Goldenduff

Thanks but that only charges one battery at a time? My imax b6 can already do that.

The charger you suggested can cycle which mine cannot. The add states it balance discharges; I thought all would do this- do they not?

Anyhow, looking for a 4 port (multi charger) to that can cycle. Inbuilt AC would be a huge bonus. The wattage rating is not too much of an issue as I like to charge a little under 1C for longeviety issues and will mainly go flying away from power source- multi charger is so I can charge them all up overnight without having to pop out to the shed all night! (and before I get a lecture I charge my batteries inside a 2tonne old agga/oil cooker in a stone barn. Again, the oven is off!!!)

Appreciate any help, must say I am temped by hobbyking as I can treat each battery to a more accurate charge on my existing charger.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 PM
energyman
My Feedback: (2)

Hitec X4 Quad Port Multicharger/Cycler.
http://www.hangtimes.com/chargers.html

Good luck. I have not used this charger, but have read good things about it. Maybe someone else with experience could chime in.

Energyman
Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Goldenduff

hi, thanks looks just the ticket. Anyone got one?

The more you know the more you know you don't know...what is common ground fault in relation to multi chargers?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Goldenduff

also it can only handle 1-6cell lipos....is this the same with the other multi chargers? Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: energyman

Hitec X4 Quad Port Multicharger/Cycler.
http://www.hangtimes.com/chargers.html

Good luck. I have not used this charger, but have read good things about it. Maybe someone else with experience could chime in.

Energyman
I own one of these as well. I like the flexibility of it . When the USB adapters get in it will be great to be able to monitor the batteries on the computer.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Of the many chargers we have tested at the Battery Clinic the FMA Cell Pros really stand out.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 PM
driller2948

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Of the many chargers we have tested at the Battery Clinic the FMA Cell Pros really stand out.
Have you tested the Triton 2 ???
Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with Red here and must state again IMHO FMA CellPro's are the Cat's Meow. They do make dual port chargers and IMHO are some of the best out there. Take a look at the FMA website and pay particular attention to the CellPro 10 series. It's hard to get better, and also pricey to get better.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 AM
joescottsdale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am looking for a new charger. Iam just getting into electrics for flying. I would like to buy one charger that can do everything and last me. I don't want to find out later that I wished Ihad a different feature or model.

So far I have narrowed it down to three different ones.

1) FMA Multi-4 Cellpro

2) Thunder T6 Multi http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t6-multi-charger.html

3) Hi-Tec X4 Quad http://www.hangtimes.com/chargers.html

Some of the features that seem different which I wonder how important they are:

1) Ability to connect USB to computer to track/monitor batteries.

2) Ability to cycle and discharge batteries (seems important to me)

3)Ability to charge multiple batteries at once. (seems important to me)

4) Memory for setting and batteries

I wonder from you pros out there if you think the ability to connect to a computer is a big advantage? or is this something that you might use once or twice and then its too much trouble after that. I am thinking am not going to charge my Lipo batteries in the house where they can be connected to a computer.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks much!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 AM
guver

Coming from one who charges and plays with lots of batts:

1. I have the capability and NEVER use it.
2. I have the capability (with over a dozen chargers) and NEVER use it.
3. Almost never use it , but I have lots of single chargers. If I had only 1 charger I'd want at least 2 outputs and 4 would be better.
4. I use this quite often , but isn't absolutely necessary.

Some may find it neat to watch on PC screen. I like staring at screens. Some like to discharge the packs. I do some "testing" and use a CBA for that so none of my chargers have ever "discharged". A charger with regenerative discharge would be a nice option for you. You may find that a couple of single chargers is better choice than 1 single one with multiple outputs.