Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Dual Switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Switches

I am about to switch over to A123 batteries on my 50cc plane, two 2300 mah packs.
I see something that has me puzzled.
I am seeing battery packs with two switch leads for dual switches. Wisdom being two switches are better than one.
So what if you have two batteries for redundancy? Certainly you wouldn't use four switches.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM
JustPlaneSweet

Default RE: Dual Switches

Blake,

I would not use four switches with two batteries.

Stan
Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: JustPlaneSweet

Blake,

I would not use four switches with two batteries.

Stan
I wouldn't either, I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind using two switches on one battery in the first place.
I am planning on using one switch on each battery but I was curious.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:50 PM
john4648
My Feedback: (24)

Blake,

Heard to know without them in front of me, but a guess might be that one is the RX lead the other a charge lead?

John
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

If you have one dedicatedswitch on one battery and that one switch fails, it's game over.

If you have two independent switches on one battery and one switch fails, then theworking switch continues to provide power to the receiver.

A number of suppliers will custom wire your packs with as many different types of leads as you want.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Blake,

Pretty straight forward.. Dual leads or in my case 3 leads (2 for the RX 1 to balence.) divides the current draw to the RX over multiple connecters. (most futaba style connecters start to warm up at about 4amps.) On the some of the JR style RX's that can use a Hi Amp connecter so this isn't much of a issue. But on a RX such as the 6014 Futaba it allows me to spead the amp load over several Futaba style connecters versus one. And the extra switch is good if one takes a dump in a open condition. Not a perfect setup but it has worked very well for me over the last 5 years or so...

Good Luck,

Ed "KISS" Harley
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

I am about to switch over to A123 batteries on my 50cc plane, two 2300 mah packs.
I see something that has me puzzled.
I am seeing battery packs with two switch leads for dual switches. Wisdom being two switches are better than one.
So what if you have two batteries for redundancy? Certainly you wouldn't use four switches.
In your case I would leave one lead loose and run one lead and one switch from each battery, that will give you the best combination of redundancy without clutter.

In my case my 50cc planes use one of those packs, two switches, one to the Rx and one to the Ign.