Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging Recommendations for Lipo and NiMH

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging Recommendations for Lipo and NiMH

Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Gmen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Recommendations for Lipo and NiMH

Hello battery experts. Can someone please give me some advise regarding the Spartan brushless boat and with additional lipo batteries. The boat comes with 2 7cell Nimh and so I bought a charger that appears to charge both types and 2 at once.

Can someone familiar with the charger and batteries please advise the following:
1. Did I buy the proper charger. If not, will exchange for the correct one. I really want a charger that can cut off and prevent me from accidentally overcharging these expensive batteries.

2. If I have the correct charger, can you tell me exactly how to charge each of the two types of batteries?
What settings, how long, etc...

I have ruined tons of batteries over the years and granted I was using crummy chargers, I still have a problem getting the amps set and etc. If anyone can spell out what I need to do to keep these in good form I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Here's what I purchased...
DTXP4245 DuraTrax Onyx 245 AC/DC Dual Output Multi-Chemistry Balance Charger (5A/3S/40W x 2)
DRA2872 Traxxas 3S "Power Cell" 25C Li-Poly Battery w/Traxxas Connector (11.1V/5000mAh)
two 7-Cell Power Cell NiMH batteries that come with the Spartan Traxxas Boat.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Charging Recommendations for Lipo and NiMH

Welcome to RCU. The 245 is fine for both sets of packs. Most users recommend and find it easy to charge at "1C" that is 1 times the batt's capacity. Your lipo's capacity is 5 ah and can be set to be charged at around 5 amps . The charger might not have enough power to do 5 amps , so it will just be slower, that's all. On all types it is designed to shut off when packs are full.

Go through the settings according to the menu or manual. That charger's power cannot hurt either pack as long as you set the proper specs to match the packs.

If you get snagged , ask away. Lots of us here know about the onyx chargers.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Gmen

THanks for the fast response Guver. I noticed on the boat manuf. has recommended their charger EZ Peak 6amp charger TRA2933. Apparently with an adapter you can also charge all types of batteries and with 2 at a time. Would that be better considering it is for their batteries or should I stick with what I bought already? Perhaps the EZhas more power and will be faster to charge also?
Thks.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

That's the first I've seen the traxxas charger. It is a single 80 watt charger where the 245 is a double 40 watt. In the end they are the same power. The dual is going to be more versatile since you could do two different packs at once. Honestly since you have pairs of packs and they are used that way it won't make much difference. In either case you will easily max out the chargers with your packs.

Between the two I think I'd pick the Onyx , but knowing how fast I like to charge I would consider something with a bit more power (maybe later) Here's a thought , a pair of the traxxas ones. OR if you got one traxxas one now you might get a cheap 200 watt charger later on?

Again, I like to charge faster than most users , but the way I add things up if I had to do your pairs of packs I would consider a single 400 watt charger for $80 from HobbyKing http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...ersion_2_.html or Value hobby. http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ischarger.html