Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Field Charger MKII Failure

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobbico Field Charger MKII Failure

Old 12-18-2011, 01:07 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Field Charger MKII Failure

Guys,

I have a Hobbico field charger mkii, and it has ceased to charge! In fact, it will not turn on. The fuse checks out ok, and I have removed the panel/board from the case and visually, no signs of anything being cooked. When plugged in to the 12v power supply (deep cycle marine battery), I have plugged in a 5-cell battery into one of the charge ports, and a voltage meter in the meter ports. The meter reads the battery voltage, but pressing the charge button has no effect.

The charger is out of warranty by a year, and has worked flawlessly until now. Sending it in for repairs is not cost-effective, so I'd like to repair it myself. My knowledge is limited, but if I had a schematic, I'd at least give it a try.

So, all that said, does anyone know what I might look for first, or have a schematic? Any help would be appreciated. Here is the mfr's. webpage for the charger:

http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html

Thank you,
Rick
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hobbico Field Charger MKII Failure

Sometimes, stuff just breaks. I use it as an upgrade opportunity.

If you lack the skills and equipment to troubleshoot it, you should give it to someone who can. My local mom-n-pop computer repair guys are great with all electronics.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 PM
TheWoodCrafter
My Feedback: (1)

Do I hear UPGRADE?

Sounds like it's time.

(they are not going to give you a schematic for their charger)

Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours may have been newer but these are a very old design. Mine was sold years ago, used, for about $20, so look around for a used one if you really like the design. It was quite good if you are not using A123 aand Lipo(sort of OK for Lipo).