Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

What if a lipo is already fully charged and...

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What if a lipo is already fully charged and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if a lipo is already fully charged and...

You put it on the charger? Will the charger let me know the battery is already full? Will it hurt anything? I have three batteries and forgot what ones are charged
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM
hound54

Default RE: What if a lipo is already fully charged and...

it should just stop charging after a minute or so ive done that b4
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Wildbill:

I have also done that b4. Before the charger could detect what was going on, it went poof, by by gasser yak 54, garage carpet and smoked house. Yes, was right there, fortunately back a few feet. You should have a volt meeter in your shop. Then you can check the battery voltage rather than rely on a auto function of a charger. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the charger, most will handle this very safely as the good chargers check the voltage versus number of cells before starting the charge. I can not vouch for all chargers but the FMA is essentially fool proof in this regard.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

+1, a good charger won't do that.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another +1 on quality chargers WILL NOT do that. (What Mr. Menke describes) They will look at individual cell voltage and under NO circumstances will they allow the individual cell voltages to exceed 4.2 volts. If the voltage is already at 4.2 per cell they just won't start the charge cycle. Chargers specifically made for charging Lithium Chemistry cells DO NOT peak charge. They finish charge by voltage only and when the voltage reaches the correct voltage for the Specific Chemistry (LiIon, LiPo, or LiFePO4) being charged they STOP CHARGING. If your charger doesn't work that way then I would discontinue it's use and purchase one that does. As Rodney mentions above the FMA line of chargers, as well as the TME chargers (Tejera Microsystems Engineering) and there are many others, fit this requirement. LiPo batteries can be dangerous if charged with a poor quality charger.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

Ok guys. My charger automatically cut off. Looks like I have one of the good ones. LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Mikecam

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6589

I keep one of these in my pocket at the field, helps when you mix up depleted and charged batteries, happens too often to me, usually takes 2 or 3 checks before I get it figured out, someone always talks to me and I forget again which is the charged one.