Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO 3 Vs. FMA Power Lab 8 V2

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO 3 Vs. FMA Power Lab 8 V2

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
dogginfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO 3 Vs. FMA Power Lab 8 V2

I am still very new to the Electric R/C Game and I am TERRIBLE with numbers so I could use a little help in the Charger Department.

It looks like I will be accumulating lots of batteries as I progress into this side of the hobby and would like to have a charger that can handle anything I might come across from 1s 130mah lipos to whatever the next great battery platform may be.

That said It looks like to get the best performance out of any top of the line charger I am going to need at least a 24v DC Power supply. I can rig up a single 47A 24v PS or two 550w 12v PS in series to have a 24v and a 12v supply so thats covered im just not sure what the better option is.

My main question is what charger will give me the most options and last me the longest as I intend to stick around the hobby for a while and what 24v ps setup would allow me to get the most out of it.

Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO 3 or FMA Power Lab 8 V2
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Snowflake6515

Default RE: Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO 3 Vs. FMA Power Lab 8 V2

I have the EOS 0720i Super Duo 3 and like it very much. I have had a variety of chargers, over the years (but, not an FMA, sorry) and have never been disappointed.

One caveat with putting your AC-DC power supplies in series; be sure that the grounds are isolated. I use the ProTek supplies from AMainHobbies and I asked them about this and they said it would work. I then verified that the negative posts were electrically isolated from the chassis and ground - works great.

I really like the many options on the Hyperion chargers and there are sufficient memory slots that the majority of my batteries are covered by retrieving the memory parameters.

Michael
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM
flyallday

Default RE: Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO 3 Vs. FMA Power Lab 8 V2

I also have a 720 duo. It is my second Hyperion and think it's a great charger. Both you are looking at are extremely hearty chargers. The 720 is really 2 chargers in 1 and if you mix charging different batteries at the same time it's a good choice. I don't know much about the FMA but owners rave about it. I also believe it is a higher wattage charger and with a paraboard you can charge several larger batteries but they must be the same cell count and capacity. I am just finishing up a server ps for 24v and ordering paraboards. You are on the right track.

Harry