Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hitec X4 programing NiCd in Auto

Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec X4 programing NiCd in Auto

Hello everyone.
I just got the Hitec X4 and I'm having a little problem with programing it. It is easy for Lithium batteries but my problem is the NiCd and NiMH.

I'm starting with a 4.8v 1100 mAh battery.
The flow chart about 3/4 of the way down it shows PROGRAM SELECT NiCd BATT
I pressed Start/Enter. and get the Man (I guess that's the manual screen). But I can't seem to get it to the Auto section.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Goldenduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec X4 programing NiCd in Auto

Maybe more info on hobbyking website under file?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Timthetoolman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't see anything there.

If I'm charging a NiCd or NiMH that's 1100 mAh, should I charge it at 1C? Is that 1.1 amps?

Thanks, Tim
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 PM
trax de max

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i forgot how i got auto on my old charger,
yes 1C will be 1.1A, but i'd go for 0.9A
Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Goldenduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is 1C yes. If they are new batteries charge at 1/2C. 
If old and you you're not in a hurry I would do .7C and be a bit kinder to them than a 1C charge.
All the best
Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Timthetoolman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just charged my transmitter battery. I used the Save Data mode and said it was a 1500 mAh 9.6v NiMH and it didn't shut off and the battery was pretty warm.
I'm not getting the warm fizzies about this charger like I had with the Accucycle Elite but it seems to do a great job on Lithium type batteries.
Maybe there's still a parameter I need to set for the nickel batteries.
If anyone has some suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Timthetoolman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm starting to see the picture here. .5C or less may be the right number for these chargers on Ni batteries. In the programming I found where you can change the delta peak to a lower amount at the risk of undercharging. Any NiCd or NiMH I've charged with this charger heats up. I found out a possibility why here: http://pgrpages.com/rc/nimh/index.html

I had the Accucycle Elite before and I loved it. I got the PZ P-47 and two batteries the other day and was excited to get the batteries charged. I didn't have the right adapter so I used a multi adapter that has all different fittings on it with my Accucycle on a 28A power supply. Well the multi adapter has a glow ignitor charge plug on one lead and I figured out the end must be positive because it touched the power supply case and bye bye Accucycle. I figured for the same price the Hitec could do 4 batteries and I mostly fly large gas planes with Lithium batteries and passed up the Accucycle. But the guy in the article above said he had the same problem with Nickel batteries.

I don't mind paying over $200 for a charger that does it all but I haven't seen one that does all the newer technologies and the older ones too with 4 ports. The Elite would do everything but LiFE but I have an Ion Cube but it seems Fromeco stopped selling those.

I may stick with the Hitec and still buy another Elite if Hobbico can't fix it. It senses the battery but then you can see the voltage rapidly climb till it gets an over voltage alarm.

The other solution, change my pattern planes and my JR transmitter to Li Ion or A123 but I'm not sure about batteries for the transmitter.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Goldenduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe life or eneloop Sanyo (Nima) are the best for T. Life voltages may be too difficult to work safely depending on your T.

I'm sure there is a for port charger that does life and nicd etc, actually after a 1min search
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F10327%5F%5FHobbyKing%5FQuattro%5F4x6S%5FLith ium%5FPolymer%5FMulti%5FCharger%5F.html

Good luck ( you may need it if using HK!!!)

Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Timthetoolman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I saw that one but there is no information on it. All the info I've read on the HK charger is that it's pot luck if you want it to balance the voltages right...no thanks : )
Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Jezmo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your pack is getting extremely warm then definitely check the delta peak and lower it some. (It should be set to "default" from the factory.) My packs typically rise some 15 degs F before shutoff but only right at the very end of charge say the last 5 minutes or so. I've had absolutely NO trouble out of mine. Also, my Accucycle Elite gets the pack warmer than my X4 does although neither let it get warm enough to damage it.

P.S. The process for changing from "Man" to "Auto" is tricky. It involves pressing the Start/Enter key and while holding it pressing the inc/dec keys simultaneously. It takes some playing around but it will go there with some patience. I don't use auto with NiXX packs at all on mine.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't played with mine a lot yet, but the few times that i tried cycling some NiMh packs to check capacity....i was getting very low numbers. I then cycled these samd packs on my old trusty FMA super nova 250 and got believable numbers close to the packs rated capacity. Hopefully its just 'operator error" with the Hitec charger and I'll figure it out.... Anybody have any tips on things i can check/try?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Timthetoolman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the great responses. A buddy of mine has the AC unit and I talked to him last night. The Auto setting is accessed just as I was trying it but he said you have to fiddle with it a bit to get to the Auto but he's never used it. I mailed off the Accucycle yesterday and they said if they couldn't repair it they would sell me a new one at a reduced price which was good with me.

In conclusion I would still buy the X4 over again because I like the way it does Li"xx" batteries and 4 mini chargers in one is cool. I'm still getting to know it and would like to explore it a bit more and learn more about the battery technologies and report back.

The settings on each charge bank goes to 6 Amps and if my power supply is 13.8v and the unit does a max of 200w then I should have a total of about 15 Amps total so you could do (2) batteries at max before you run out of juice (provided I did the math right A=W/V?).
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Goldenduff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's 50w per channel. So if charging at the max 6amps (50w/6) 8.3v or a 2cell  lipo would be the max you could charge at 6amps. If you have a 3cell (11.1v) you can only charge it at 4.5 amps. If its a 4cell lipo (14.8v) you can only charge at 3.5amps.