Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

FMA Multi Carrying Case

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMA Multi Carrying Case

No I don't have one!

But I would like to know/see what you have. I love the Multi charger, except I don't have a good way to tote it around. The original box is not good and I currently use a wood cigar box. But I don't like the way the charger is so open where crap can get in there and it doesn't seem like the power chord and charge chords are properly restrained etc. so I want to be extra careful with it and keep it clean.

So what do you guys tote your Multi around in?

Tom
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Tombsy

Default RE: FMA Multi Carrying Case

Lots of people make a case that holds the charger and a power supply for charging in the field. Some of them get pretty fancy with custom Pelican cases but you can use something as simple as a small toolbox and make some shelves or dividers to hold accessories or batteries.
Here are some [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493834]Portable charging stations[/link]
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Goldenduff

Or even wrap the original box in heavy duty tape?!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 AM
tomfiorentino

Tombsy,

What a wonderful link! Boy oh boy....thank you.

I'm noticing that on most of those setups, the batteries come to the charging station. In other words, they are removable.

I'm thinking about a different flight box setup also, and I probably have room to combine the charging station into the flight box. The flight box would include a set of holders to set the plane up etc. (getting old, back kills me etc). I get to fly pretty close to my truck so some cables from the truck to the flight box could power everything up...or at least supplement the motorcycle battery in the flight box if that gets low. I could rig up that kind of stuff.

Would a two or three foot chord from the charger to the airplane be ok in terms of what the charger sees or is it better to keep these things short...like under one foot short?

Tom
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Goldenduff

If your back hurts why not remove the motor bike battery and just use leads from truck battery to flight box? A modified in car socket (the one that goes in to cigarette lighter ) means you wouldn't even have to lift the bonnet!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Tombsy

Hey Tom, there are some pretty nice setups there. For your charging leads I think you would be fine charging nimh's but you might run into trouble with lipo's with the balance lead.
I can't park my truck at the pond to use it's battery so I have a deep cycle in my starter box to power my charger box. But I just got a tiny little 800w generator brand new from ebay for $25 to use as back up.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
tomfiorentino

ORIGINAL: Tombsy

Hey Tom, there are some pretty nice setups there. For your charging leads I think you would be fine charging nimh's but you might run into trouble with lipo's with the balance lead.
I can't park my truck at the pond to use it's battery so I have a deep cycle in my starter box to power my charger box. But I just got a tiny little 800w generator brand new from ebay for $25 to use as back up.

Yea...actually if I am using Lipos they are in foamies and I can pull those batteries out easy. I was thinking more in terms of a 2 or 3 foot wire on my A123's that are not as easily removed. For those I am using the universal connector (Hangtime deal). I'm not sure how long I can get with those before I run into a problem.

Goldenduff....I hear you on the cigarette lighter. That works too and is a nice practical suggestion. I'll still need some flight box battery for pumps etc. I'm regrouping on this whole thing though so those are good ideas.

Right now I have bits and pieces all over the place and I feel like I have one hundred things to remember when I leave the house (and I am NOT getting a trailer). I also don't have two sets of things (shop vs field) so its not like I can leave the car packed overnight if I need to do something in the shop. So I am thinking about that fat max tool box that has wheels. Someone here posted a picture of one modified for a flight box. But it is large enough for all tools, charging station, fuel etc. and it doubles as a plane stand too. In looking at it in Lowes it is really nice and I think it has potential...I can probably even get a transmitter in there! I can lift something in and out of the truck pretty good...but carrying stuff back and forth gets the back and the bum elbow all worked up.

You guys are great....Saturday is looking like good weather in upstate NY. I'll be where the cell phone has no reception....because it's off!!

Tom

Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Goldenduff

A 3cell lipo powers a flight box very nicely- lasts way longer way lighter, way smaller.