Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

charger output voltage/R/X batt. voltage

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

charger output voltage/R/X batt. voltage

Old 05-06-2012, 04:41 AM
dwreel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charger output voltage/R/X batt. voltage

Would I create a problem if I charged an R/X battery rated at 4.8V with a wall charger that has an output of 5.8 V or 6V ? I'm checking all my batteries and deep discharging them to 4.4V and the charge times are getting kinda long. Like 12 to 14 hours long. Of course after the deep cycle discharge sessions,my charge times wouldn't be as long because normally I wouldn't discharge them this deep when flying and therefore wouldn't have to recharge for the next flying day with the longer charge times. Right ???

thanks,dick.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: charger output voltage/R/X batt. voltage

The wall wart will work very well, the no load voltage on it must be higher than the maximum voltage the battery being charge will obtain at full charge else it would not charge. These wall warts have quite a high internal impedance thus drop a lot of voltage while charging. If you measured the voltage on the output leads with the battery being charged you would see the voltage of the battery only, the remainder being dropped in the wall wart's internal impedance. As to charging later on when you have not completely discharged the battery by previous use, no problem. If the charger's output current is around 0.1C of the battery being charged capacity, you can charge all night the day before flying with no harm to the battery, in fact that is the preferred way to do it for maximum battery life (number of charge/discharge cycles). Any time you fast charge, you do a very slight bit of life time degradation.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 AM
dwreel

WOW. That was fast. Thank you very much Rodney. Your comments were exactly what I was hoping to hear. So now, I can use one of my wall warts with a higher mAh rate to charge a battery that has been deep cycled. I'm going thru all my R/X batteries and after a full charge I'm discharging they with an ESV and graphing the time and voltage readings to get a "bench Mark" figure I can use to check the condition of the batteries with later on.

In the past, owner manuels would say to charge the new battery overnite (?) I never knew how long "overnite" was. And "forming" a new battery was a phrase I had never heard. I finally found a web site that gives a formula for figureing the charge time for new formatted batteries.

Thanks again, Rodney. I do appreciate your comments.

Dick.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM
crossman

Dick,

If you go to this site http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html And click the box titled "All About Wall-Wart Chargers"
there is alot of info on using chargers that have different specs than the ones that come with the equipment. That will help you know what to expect with the charger that you have.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM
dwreel

Thanks for the Link crossman. Tons of great information there.I keep going back to it.

dick.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, thanks crossman. That site answers a lot of questions I have been asking myself for a long time. Good stuff.