Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?

ORIGINAL: rcheli1

There's the gel ones now which are safer and don't leak or need maintenance.
Are these batteries available for RC Heli`s??
I also checked out the link you gave me a lot of imformation I was looking closely for any hope in the moving forward on Lipo technology

thats for lead acid.
I'm sure when the lipo moulded ones get more recognised and tested more lipos may change. Have you considered using LiFe batteries if LiPo is to worrying. They don't have the same energy as LiPo but some systems can use them.
I Was going to mention the warehouse and how they are stored, But also when they are made they must store them somewhere and i can't imagine each one gets it's own fireproof box. There was a program on TV here not that long ago on in a factory making LiPo batteries.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
rctugman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again
Very interesting... The LIFE batteries whats how far behind are they compared to lipos? would they be good enough for a 600 size heli?
I will of course be doing my own search to,but thought I would ask.

and Yes a very good point not only the warehouses but the shops also,as you rightly say they can not hold each battery even in a sleeping state in individual fireproof containers...

once again many thanks
regards Steve
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
trax de max

I don't think LiFe would have the energy discharge to power that, I maybe wrong I've never really looked into LiFe batteries before.
maybe someone uses them and could help you. Best to ask someone who has tried it or be the guinea pig for testing it.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
rctugman

Hi there
really appreciate your reply and I will seek the imfo and see what turns up
Very interesting topic

regards Steve
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Goldenduff

At the risk of heresay and no research from memory life can discharge quickly and do/did have faster charge ratings.
They tend to weigh more per mah but then you actually discharge them deeper.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Hello fellow members.
I have spent the best part of 2 days reading an incredible sticky
Lipo Fires Are Real! on RC groups forum.....now i`m terrified.

I am new to RC heli`s I am looking at a 600 type maybe LOGO?
First off..I wish to ask for a very short list of the very best Chargers
I was already prepared to buy the best now it`s a must I think.

I was originally going to ask what is the best way to charge batteries indoors??? now I am not to sure that is a good idea.

I am not even that impressed by Lippo bags but sure they help.
do not suppose anyone as come up with something better than lippo bags and ammunition boxes[img][/img] since the sticky was first started.
wondering if somekind of outdoor metal container would be a good place to store batteries? but do I charge them there to?

I will not be flying in winter Norway is very cold and a lot of snow..I need to know best method of storing batteries and How?
that would apply for the rest of the year also,although I would hope to be flying regulary .

I have tried reading as much as possible on Batteries and chargers and to be honest I am loosing my enthusiasm[img][/img]
(i have no local clubs or people to help)

And another question I have read many posts questioning the so called quality battery brands as against the cheapos?

I just wish to know what are considered the Rolls-royce of batteries from a safety and quality view point?

so to begin with a short list of 2-3 Chargers for me to investigate and secondly batteries to look out for

many thanks in advance

Regards Steve[img][/img]

I dont understand it..If people are so terrified or concerned with the danger "potential" of lipo batteries then use a safer alternative..there is are plenty of other options to choose from.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Nitro-Tom

I agree that LiPo's are the way to go.

Threat them well and make sure you are not drawing to much from them during use with your setup.

Charge them with a good balancing charger below C rating and use a LiPo Bag.

I have 35-45 LiPo's from 2S to 6S up to 5000maH, and I charge them all in LiPo bags in house.

I only charge when I am in the shop and able to watch them, I always have an extinguisher handy

Only use good quality balance chargers and also get a good amp meter with a LiPo checker built in

most of the issues I see are from abuse or mis-use in some way.......

Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Hello fellow members.

I was originally going to ask what is the best way to charge batteries indoors??? now I am not to sure that is a good idea.

do not suppose anyone as come up with something better than lippo bags and ammunition boxes[img][/img] since the sticky was first started.
wondering if somekind of outdoor metal container would be a good place to store batteries? but do I charge them there to?

I will not be flying in winter Norway is very cold and a lot of snow..I need to know best method of storing batteries and How?
that would apply for the rest of the year also,although I would hope to be flying regulary .

I have tried reading as much as possible on Batteries and chargers and to be honest I am loosing my enthusiasm[img][/img]

And another question I have read many posts questioning the so called quality battery brands as against the cheapos?

I just wish to know what are considered the Rolls-royce of batteries from a safety and quality view point?

so to begin with a short list of 2-3 Chargers for me to investigate and secondly batteries to look out for

many thanks in advance

Regards Steve[img][/img]

I dont understand it..If people are so terrified or concerned with the danger ''potential'' of lipo batteries then use a safer alternative..there is are plenty of other options to choose from.
What other alternatives are there to power and electric rc? NIMH?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
tony0707

HI
Anyone out there know how LIPOS perform in cold weather conditions ?
I think i read they are not that good in the cold but would like some people experienced on the subject of cold conditions
Regards Tony
Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Mine have ran fine in cold weather...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: tony0707

HI
Anyone out there know how LIPOS perform in cold weather conditions ?
I think i read they are not that good in the cold but would like some people experienced on the subject of cold conditions
Regards Tony
Obviously you cannot handle cold weather! (you live in Florida). But to answer your question, I live in PA and have flown in the cold. I leave the batteries in the truck until I fly, and I can tell you they work great like always. Granted, I do not spend 4 hours at the field when it is very cold...

Gerry
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Hey rcheli1
I lived in Oslo for 7 years. We looked forward to winter as the frozen lakes and Fjord made big open flying fields that no one would run you off of. But this was long before Lipo's appeared.
Have you tried A123's? they don't explode.
Where I live a Lipo would not survive a summer in the garage.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

Hello fellow members.

many thanks in advance

Regards Steve[img][/img]

I dont understand it..If people are so terrified or concerned with the danger ''potential'' of lipo batteries then use a safer alternative..there is are plenty of other options to choose from.
What other alternatives are there to power and electric rc? NIMH?
Well yeah, Nimh, Nicd,Life,A123....magic fairy pixie dust
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
rctugman

Morning Guys good to hea rfrom you new and old

Have you tried A123's? they don't explode.
I have not tried anything as yet I am just at the researching stage ..trying to learn as much as I can from folk who are far more expert than I in all things RC
I know lipos are the top of the tree so to speak,and the others are now not really in the RCrace.

But I will ask out of the alternative batteries A123s e.t.c. which are closest to lipos ?this would be intereresting.I am afraid of LIpos thats for sure
if i can find an alternative that would be safe to store & Charge in house that would be great,,but if the cost of doing that is a far inferior battery to the LIPO then Lipo it is outside ina shed.

So if you guys can give me some comparisons between the batteries I would be very obliged to you

Best Wishes Steve
Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM
rctugman

To Blholo2

Please remember I was only terrified after reading the potential hazards of lipos! you say if folk are so terrified then folk should look at alternatives?
that was a point of the thread in the first place to ask more on the lipo question and see if ther was an alternative? I did not know there were alternatives believing as I did that LIPO ruled the roost

Only now as I hearing that there maybe alternatives but not up to lipo standard

all the best Steve
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM
rctugman

Hi Dirtybird
Good to hear from you...
I might given the chance fly in winter? who knows nut as I have just asked what are A123s and how do all these other batteries compare to lipos
cheers steve
Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Goldenduff

A123 are a type of life- ?the best life available?
Life are heavier per mah than lipo- not by a lot and when you consider good construction techniques the weight saved is marginal I.e little point building plane out of 2x4 planks then saving 30g by using a lipo!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
rctugman

Good Morning Goldeduff
Really thank you for the answer you gave..do you know if the A123s are used widly as a direct replacement for lipos and how do they compare?I will of course check out all the alternatives myself..but it always helps to hear from Heli flyers

best wishes Steve
Old 06-02-2012, 12:11 AM
rctugman

Hello again Goldenduff

Have just done a search and found several good links to A123s and the general opinion is that they are not comparable to Lipos in Heli`s,although they are good for some things

cheers Steve

Below is a comparison table I found very interesting:-

Typical characteristics

In this table, energy density is given as milliwatt-hour (capacity * voltage) per gram or cubic centimetre. Max charge is aggressive charge and may not be practical. Discharge is continuous, and given as C (equivalent to watts per watt-hour) and watts per gram. Lipo values are for 80% discharge. Values are illustrative.

Type mWh/g mWh/cc g/cc max chrg max dischrg =W/g Wh/£$
SLA 40 100 2.6 0.5C 10C 0.4 2.5
NiMH 100 300 2.8 1C 2-3C 0.3 1.0
Lipo 140 270 1.9 2C 30C 6 0.5
LiFe 85 150 1.7 6C 30C 2.6 0.5
LiP 90 unkn unkn 1C 15C unkn 0.6

Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 AM
trax de max

A123 is a brand, I'm sure that chart is an old one and don't know how accurate it is nowdays.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:30 AM
rctugman

Hi Guys found the following which I found very interesting what do you guys think I am sure you have knowledge of these LiFePO4
would love to hear what you all think on this reveiw

Cheers steve

Imagine if we could combine the safety and durability of nicads with the capacity and light-weight of LiPos. Wouldn't that be the best of all worlds? Well that's pretty much what you get with the latest battery technology known as Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). Batteries based on this technology have almost the same power to weight ratio as LiPos but are far more tollerant of over and under-charging. In a situation where a LiPo might explode into flames, the LiFePO4 cell will probably just vent some harmless gas.

LiFePO4 Pro's: very high power/weight ratio very low self-discharge more tollerant of over/under-charge/discharge can be used for RC gear without needing regulators

LiFePO4 Con's: Only a limited range of battery capacities currently available Odd-sizes for most cells (not AA, C, D, etc) LiFePO4-capable charger needed LiFePO4 and A123,

what's the difference? Some people tend to use the terms LiFePO4 and A123 interchangeably but there is a significant difference between the two. The fact is that A123 is a brand name for a specific type of LiFePO4 battery that incorporates nano-technology to significantly increase the current-handling capabilities. The capabilities of an A123 battery are truly impressive with a 2300mAH pack being able to deliver currents of up to 100A for 10 seconds or more without damage. That's a 40C rating.

A standard LiFePO4 battery by comparison, may have only a 3-5C rating which is perfectly adequate for most RC applications but nowhere near as suited to hi-current applciations (such as electric power) as a true A123. When to use Well the answer to this is simple use LiFePO4/A123 batteries whenever it's possible. I've switched to LiFePO4 batteries for all my models now and have had absolutely zero problems. My NiMH receiver packs now sit unused in a drawer under my bench, having been replaced by some 1350mAH packs I built myself for under $10 each. My 30% Extra now has dual 2300mAH A123 batteries that can handle the nine hi-torque digital servos without even blinking.

Given that LiFePO4 batteries are cheaper, smaller, lighter and better in just about every way than any of the other technologies when used as receiver pack, I'd say there's little reason not to use them. I also notice that hi-current LiFePO4 batteries are now becoming available to replace LiPos for electric power. They're a little higger and heavier than the equivalent LiPo but for many folks, this will be a small price to pay for the dramatically increased safety and robustness they offer. Back: Lithium Polymer batteries (LiPo)

Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 AM
rctugman

Morning Trax de Max
take your point could be unreliable imfo
what do you think to my latest post re the LiFePO4

all the best Steve
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Goldenduff

I haven't done research like you but I think possibly an old chart?
Nimh come out looking pretty good. Lipo and life can be charged way faster than 2c- some reputable brands boasting 8c.

Didn't think life was that much heavier compared to lipo. I'm on holiday on iPhone but have a look at hobby king to compare some similar lipo and life cells/batteries. HK list them in voltage and mah which is useful.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 AM
rctugman

Hello Goldenduff
Graet to hear from you
You have a really good holiday and I will continue my search, which i am finding very interesting....

best wishes Steve
Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 AM
trax de max

A123 are cylindrical cells, The larger life batteries are lipo shape blocks. The multi charger you buy for LiPo have the LiFe setting also so no need to buy a new charger if you have one.
LVC for LiFe i have read different stories some say you need one, others say you don't so I can't help you there.
interesting read, You may of made me change to LiFe set up when i need new batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.