Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default What would you pay?

For those who use Lipo packs, what would you pay for a fire proof case to store and charge them in, and possibly even use it for transport? I am working on something that I have been pondering for a while now, and just need to work out the logistics and product line. I'm thinking about $40 as a starting price for a case that can store 4-6 packs or more depending on the size of the packs, banana charging jacks internally to plug your charge leads into, and balance jacks. Padding to keep the packs comfy, maybe dividers to secure them. On the outside, 8" charge leads to plug into your charger, and a balance cable to connect to either the charger or a balance device. Imay even have a connection for those who use the temp cable. I'm also thinking of one that incorporates a charger in the lid such as the AC680 type of charger, which is a deccent charger and not so expensive to make it be unsellable. Pne other item that I have to work on is a way to notify the user if a battery pack did go bad, maybe a hot link the will melt and lock the lid, and turn some sort of green eye red, like those on car batteries.

Of course it would need to have replaceable interior parts so it doesnt become a one use item when a pack does go poof.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
TheWoodCrafter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What would you pay?

Something like that sounds like a $150 product.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Goldenduff

Chech out www.lipolocker.com
Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Link to LipoLocker video on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCsabVH8afk

Sounds like what you are thinking about would be superior, that's just me talking and what I envision from your description.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 AM
porterdog

I would not buy that product as I don't believe it's a necessity.  No ill will, just honest opinion.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd pay $14. That's what I paid for the 12X8X5 fire safe's at Walmart.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
TheWoodCrafter
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldn't use anything like that either.

Can see that it is really necessary.
And I am not that afraid of LiPO's.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
kahnen

One of the things I like to do while charging my lipos is actually watch them. Its the main reason I don't charge in a bag or any container. I do charge on a nonflameable surface but its out in the open so I can see what is going on with the battery. If you watch videos of lipos going up in smoke you'll see a common theme. First they'll puff up, then split open, then ignite. Being able to see when they start to puff up will allow you to cut the current (turn the charger off or pull the plug if the charger is close to the battery) If caught early enough, you've saved yourself a fire and the most you'll have to do is now is dispose of the puffed lipo.

If you watch this lipolocker review video you'll see the guy test it out but when he opens it up after his test, it starts to smoke again and he quickly puts the cover back on. He said another cell just went. When its enclosed like that you have no idea whats going on inside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3M1K...eature=related
"And knowing is half the battle"