Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Field charging

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Rudy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field charging

Hi all, I want to be able to charge myLipo batteriesat our field. We have no power there. 12v or 24v deep cycle batteries are what I want to use. I don’t want a genset, tough. I have a 730i Hyperion charger.

<o></o>

<o></o>

What works? And, how do you figure out how many batteries can be safely charged from a deep cycle battery?<o></o>

<o></o>

Rudy<o></o>

Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Field charging

I would estimate 20% inefficiency lost in charging so multiply the voltage and capacity of lipo multiply that number by 1.2 then divide it all by the voltage of your deep cycle battery. The number you are left with is the capacity of the battery you need to power the charger....

My charger has a cigarette lighter adaptor to power it if you keep the car engine running?

Or for the price of deep cycle batteries you could club together and buy an inverter? Then you can power anything!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Snowflake6515

I agree with the other replier's comments. I originally used a Hyperion charger 'till it started blowing fuses in my auto power distribution block (West Mountain Radio RigRunner.) Replaced it, under warranty, with an FMA PowerLab8 and love it.

I use a deep discharge battery and am on my second one. If you use a lead-acid, AKA wet, type of deep discharge battery, be aware that going below about 11 volts, IIRC, could limit you to about 10 cycles; even if you use a desulfating charger. As I field charge 6S 5000 LiPos as well as 3S 2300 LiPos, I opted for an AGM type of deep discharge battery with about 100 AH capacity. I use a West Mountain isoPower unit to keep it charged from my car's alternator through a power plug in the trunk plus, if the alternator is running, then the charger draws from the car battery instead of my deep discharge battery.

There are several brands of deep discharge AGM batteries: Odyssey being the most expensive, IIRC, but LifeLine are less expensive / shorter warranty. There is a third brand, but the name escapes me, at the moment.

The reasons I like an AGM battery are: (1) sealed, so if it tips over in the car, no battery acid spills out and (2) it can handle well over a hundred deep discharge cycles before needing replacement. Given that my battery is often topped off by the car's alternator, I haven't dropped below 11 volts, yet.

If you want info about the West Mountain products, let me know, but the info on their website is pretty good. No connection with West Mountain Radio, Odyssey/LifeLine batteries, etc., except as a satisfied customer.

Michael

ORIGINAL: Rudy

Hi all, I want to be able to charge my Lipo batteries at our field. We have no power there. 12v or 24v deep cycle batteries are what I want to use. I don’t want a genset, tough. I have a 730i Hyperion charger.

<o></o>

<o> </o>

What works? And, how do you figure out how many batteries can be safely charged from a deep cycle battery?<o></o>

<o> </o>

Rudy<o></o>

Old 07-04-2012, 04:20 AM
KW_Counter

I put a power box in the bed of my pickup.
I used power poles inside a household outdoor covered box.
It is more for emergencies than regular charging so I don't worry
draining my battery to where I can't start the truck.

Unless your battery is weak or the entire club is charging off of your
battery it should be able to handle the day with no problem.
If concerned, start the vehicle mid day and recharge.

I would not want to be bothered carrying around a second battery.
Just to much hassle for me.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter