Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo complete discharge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
donzhere
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo complete discharge?

Hi all....first time posting in this forum.

I have a Thunder Power 3250 mAh 4 cell lipo I use in my Habu.

Somehow...someway the pack must have been fully discharged. Rut Roh...I know.

The charger reads low battery voltage and it wont charge.

Have I lost this pack ?

Don
Old 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
grizzly59

Default RE: Lipo complete discharge?

Yes, it is considered a goner! Some have revived batteries like this by charging on a nicad setting on a low charge rate to build up the voltage and then continue with the Lipo setting. Chances are you will get it to charge up but the damage is done and I would not trust the pack. Those that try this procedure are doing at their own risk. Completely discharging a pack is considered a damaged pack.

Any pack discharged with cells below 3.4 suffers damage. How long it stays this way or how often this happens determines when it is considered useless. I am not a battery engineer but I follow rules given by the battery manufacturers and this is what governs how i use batteries. Nope this helps.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I agree with hoosier and that 3.4 figure. It's going to depend on what the cells' voltages actually are.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charge it at 100 - 300 ma rate until you are over 3V per cell, then try your charger in balance charge mode at 1/2C and see what happens. If it's not puffed or otherwise damaged, you might get lucky. It's likely damaged to some extent tho... YMMV.

John C