Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 AM
heypal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery selection

Hello folks,

I have an old RC10T that I would like to get up and running. The truck has not been run for about 15 years. However, the truck is in great shape and could run today if I had new cells. With me being out of the R/C loop, I need help purchasing new cells. There are so many choices these days that it is a little confusing to me. The truck is equiped with a Tekin ESC. Help!

Cheers,
Pal
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Battery selection

Lipos are the way to go. Each cell is 3.7v.

What voltage battery did the truck run on previously? Is this likely to be your only rc? I ask because lipo battery chargers can range from $30-300 depending your needs and if you want to be "future proof."

Get lipos- bigger capacity density than nimh and not that scary if treated with some sense.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM
heypal

Will lipos be compatible with my old ESC?? I can't remember what I ran in the past. Your basic, run of the mill NiCads.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Your truck will not work with lipolys unless you change out the whole system. you can only use nicad or nicmetal. Dennis
Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 PM
TheWoodCrafter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Your truck will not work with lipolys unless you change out the whole system. you can only use nicad or nicmetal. Dennis
I am not an RCcar/truck guy but this just doesn't sound right.

ANY battery will power an electric motor and a RX.
It just needs to be set up for the selected battery with a BEC or regulator.

But it will work without replacing everything in the truck.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
raptor51

Woodcrafter is on the right track.

I have used both brushed motors and brushless motors over the years with their associated ESCs....NB, the ESC must be suitable for the type of motor used, ie. brushed or brushless.
As long as your motor/ESC is matched, any battery (Lipo, NIMH, Nicad etc) will power the setup as long as..........the ESC/motor combination is rated for the voltage to be used.
Nominal value of one cell Lipo is 3.7V and fully charged is 4.2V.....two cell 7.4V and 8.4V, three cell 11.1V and 12.6V etc etc.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Goldenduff

Correct- as I suggested lipos will be fine- I think dads toys is getting confused about esc brushed or brushless.

Some info on the original battery (voltage and capacity) will help make a suggestion.

Or even better the max voltage and ampage the motor and esc can handle (the original battery may have been on the conservative side so knowing the motor an esc is beetle)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

voltage is voltage whether it comes from the moon or NiCADS, LiPO, NiMH. Although you need to work out how much voltage you need so the right pack is bought.
What you would need with LiPO is some sort of low voltage device like a LVA (alarm). And a LiPO charger, 90% of LiPO chargers can charge different chemistries which will always come in handy.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:53 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Read his first post. the car is 15 years old. Lipolys weren't even out. He can can only use the old style battery's as it is. If he wants to use the new batterys he'll have to change all the electric system. He may not even have a solid state speed controller. For sure he have a brushed moter. Dennis
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 AM
trax de max

Why would a tekin esc have to use old style batteries.
If it uses 5cell Ni** or less then yes,
But 6cell Ni** = 8.4V 2s LiPO = 8.4V charged.
Just because something is old doesn't mean you can't run newer technology, with LiPO you need some sort of LVD which is why manufacturers state not to use LiPO on esc's that doesn't have this feature, But you can buy these separately.
You may need to power the Rx with a different supply but that shouldn't be a problem
Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Goldenduff

Couldn't agree more unless I have missed something.

Please clarify why you cannot use lipo. So far your argument makes as much sense as you canno drive a classic car on a motorway.......
Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As said above, as long as the voltage is not higher than the old equipment can stand, any source should work as well as the original.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 AM
heypal

Guys,

At this point, I will probably stay away from the Lipos just because I am not quite familer with them. However, what (If any) performance gains can I excpect from a Nickel Metal Hydride pack VS. an old school NiCad? Back in the day I would get about 10-12 minute runtimes. Can I excpect a higher run times with the NMH?

Thanks,
Pal
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM
trax de max

Treated correctly I'd choose NiCAD, over NiMH. But buy whatever is available or easiest to buy whether NiMH or NiCAD. But having LiPO there is zero comparison. I think anyone who is using LiPO would never go back to using nickel batteries.