Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

thunder power tp820cd, or powerlab 8 decision

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

thunder power tp820cd, or powerlab 8 decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:13 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thunder power tp820cd, or powerlab 8 decision

Decisions decisions, Hello there I'm in the market to upgrade my charge set up. This is the two that was on my list from the begining and after a look through google and other chargers. I'm back left to these two and can't decide which way to go.
my choice is left at Thunder Power TP820CD and the Cellpro PowerLab 8 V2.
I'm looking at these so that it can be years before i change again and would still fetch a better price if I needed to upgrade later.

If you had choices of only these two which one would get the vote.
I know there is less expensive high spec chargers out there, but it's only for these two models that i'd choose. The power lab 6 maybe, but as last resort.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM
TheWoodCrafter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thunder power tp820cd, or powerlab 8 decision

Those are 2 very different chargers with quite different features.
I don't understand how you have come down to these 2.

I would never even consider the Thunder Power.

Looks like my answer is PL8.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM
delateurj

Hi,

I have an FMA Cellpro 4 so I have some experience with FMA products.

I have a TP820CD and an older TP810 (I think that's the model number).

For what's worth I am seriously considering getting an PL6 or PL8 with a parallel board and moving away from the TP820CD

If you do some searching on RCGro*ps and perhaps here you'll find issues with the TP820CD exceeding the requested current when transitioning from CC to CV modes.

I've seen this myself on my charger but only minor (e.g. set max charge rate to 4.0 amps and in cutting over from CC to CV will go to 4.1 amps for several seconds).

But others have seen much higher to point of damaging pack.

They have released firmware updates that address but recent anecdote from someone in my club I respect has me concerned one day my minor over amp may not be so minor.

TP has been great in its support including in the above anecdote but it just bothers me the design would let that happen. It seems so fundamental, don't let current exceed max, even by .1 and it seems the software must "know" the current as it is displaying it.

For equivalent capability PL8/6 will be more expensive as I'll get the MPA board so I can charge multiple backs but even with charging in Lipo Sack, I want to minimize chance of any serious problems.

One man's opinion.

The Cellpro 4 has been rocked solid.

- Joe.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM
trax de max

cheers dudes, I been swaying from one to the other and spent most of the day looking up. I knew the pl8 was very accurate, but didn't realise the thunder power had issues, which may be fixed now, but I wouldn't take a risk if i'm paying top dollar, I want accuracy. I'm moving up from an IQ605 which is quite a big jump, but this has served me well but too under powered for me now. I seen the fatboy 8, which is made by same company in same factory, but doesn't have the software that the pl8 has and taking shipping costs into consideration I think i will go for the PL8 from a nearby hobby shop. This is going to be my first purchase in a real shop for RC stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went through this, PL8 or Thunder power 820 and went with the PL8, glad it did. I previously used a couple of TP1010c's and the PL8 is light years ahead. If you get it, get the MPA board as well, it allows you to charge up to 6 packs at a time!

Mike
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 AM
trax de max

Cool,Thank you, just waiting for it to be in stock then popping over. See what deal i can get.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Goldenduff

Can PL8 also be used to power a cutting wire etc (?variable volt and amp output)- in sure one of the chargers does this...,,
Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 AM
trax de max

A cutting wheel, I remember that but was a while back and don't know which charger it was. Would be handy
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Goldenduff

Wire cutter or anything- can the power lab be used for this? Would be handy for cutting foam wings etc....
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
trax de max

hmmm i'll have a look, i wonder if it works from the regen dis charge setting.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM

I'd say it depends on what you're doing with it. Since I have an E-Revo having 2 charging ports makes sense for me so I can charge packs individually and keep track of individual pack health without hogging my charger with only 1 pack.

The Cell Pro has way more kick and could charge an entire days worth of batteries in a series/parallel setup with the power output it is capable of, however for me that is a lot of extra work to deal with.

I'm happy with my TP820CD.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
stegl

Very happy with my TP820cd charger . The first one one I had was last year when they had issues that did not show up or that they decided to test in the field. I had a quick swap with a brand new one and sent the problem one back so they could look at it. after that off to the races. Works great although the balancer isn't quite as accurate as the tp 1010C and external balancer that was discontinued some time ago. All in All a great charger and even better backup service by TP.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 PM
trax de max

Well went with the PL8 with mpa board. awesome machine.