Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Dynamite Passport Lipo Charging issues?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Dynamite Passport Lipo Charging issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:41 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynamite Passport Lipo Charging issues?

OK... I hate to sound like a newb but this has got me stumped. I have a Dynamite Passport Lipo charger I use it to charge 2s-6s Lipos. I have one battery that it doesn't seem to recognise. My smaller batteries seem to charge just fine and ballance well but I have a 6s battery (6s 5000mah 40C SkyLipo) that I can't get to charge. The battery itself still has a charge of 3.75-3.79v per cell so I consider that to be reasonably balanced. When I plug into the ESC on the car all is good, plenty of power no connection issues. When I plug the balance plug into the voltage meter all cells read like they sould. I don't think its a problem with the battery but I could be wrong. I have charged this battery a couple dozen times with no problem the only issue might be that the charger won't let me charge faster than 2amp but it has done that since the charger and battery were new last year. Am I missing something. I don't have another 6s or I would try it on the charger to see if it might be the charge port on the charger itself. Any Ideas what my issue moght be? Is there a way to do a fast unbalanced charge with this charger just to see if it will charge this battery at all?
Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynamite Passport Lipo Charging issues?

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4065 this? or do you have the passport ultra?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: guver

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4065 this? or do you have the passport ultra?
If it's the regular passport it does have a 50 watt max and you have been using it at that limit. It explains the 2 amp rate , but I'm sorry I'm not familiar enough with them to figure out why "it doesn't seem to recognise" a certain battery. What does it do? nothing? are there error codes to read perhaps?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I found my problem. There was some crud inside the the positive contact on the Deans. I will solder on a new one tomorrow and the should fix my problem!

Guver is 50 Watts insufficient for charging a battery of this size? What wattage would you suggest out of a charger? I guess I don't understand the role Watts play here.
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Goldenduff

Watts (w) = volts (v) x amps (a)

Your charger has 50w limit. If charging a 6cell lipo (22.2v) the max amps your charger will have available is 50w/22.2= 2.3amps.

That's assuming 100% efficiency. In reality you will have about amps to charge with and it's not a goo idea to use stuff at 100%.

If charging a 2cell (7.4volts) you charger would have 50w/7.4v= 6.7 amps. However now you are probably hitting the chargers max amp limit. Most small chargers are limited to 5amps. So you can only get at 37watts of the 50 available.

When buying a charger check the max amps and power. Clear as mud?!?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 AM
guver

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I think I found my problem. There was some crud inside the the positive contact on the Deans. I will solder on a new one tomorrow and the should fix my problem!

Guver is 50 Watts insufficient for charging a battery of this size? What wattage would you suggest out of a charger? I guess I don't understand the role Watts play here.
Thanks!
50 watts is fine , just slow as you know. For a 6sx5000 40C pack I would like about 20 amps AND 500 watts. I like charging fast. Standing there and watching those batts and chargers for a number of minutes just kills me.