Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Faster NiMH Chargers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faster NiMH Chargers?

I recently bought myself a drfit car but there is one downside to it. The charger. (Boy, big suprise on an RTR.) Like all RTRchargers, it takes 8 hours to charge a single 7.4v, 1800mAH battery. Quite frankly, I cant stand that and I think its stupid companies include such slow, weak chargers.Iveonly owned it for 2 days and have used it a whopping...2 times.I expect that from a 1/6th scale Hummer from Toys R Us, not a big expensive hobby grade drift car! Ok, so after my rant here is what im really came here to find out:

The battery I have is a (stated above) 7.4v, 1800mAH, NiMH. Im looking for a charger that is going to charge it up somewhere around <5 hours. I only found one charger that suits my needs: http://www.rcplanet.com/Hobbico_2_Ho...p/hcap0117.htmButwhen I startedreading up on it more, I found out it only wants to charge NiCd batteries. Does anyone know of some fast, cheap chargers that wont break the bank? I just dont want to spend that much on this battery to charge it because its the lowest powered battery that could have been given with this car. (My Mini T has a higher mAHthan this thing and the Mini T battery is an NiMH too.)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM
TheWoodCrafter

Default RE: Faster NiMH Chargers?

You will need a budget quite a bit bigger than that for a decent charger.

Look lower on the page.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Goldenduff

Couldn't see what amps that charger puts out.

Do yourself a huge favour. Buy a lipo charger ( it will do all chemistries) and a 2cell lipo. Read up on how to charge and use them.

1hr charge times will be the max and you can grow with it. 6min charge times are achievable!!

Look at hobbyking
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Zlash03

ORIGINAL: Goldenduff

Couldn't see what amps that charger puts out.

Do yourself a huge favour. Buy a lipo charger ( it will do all chemistries) and a 2cell lipo. Read up on how to charge and use them.

1hr charge times will be the max and you can grow with it. 6min charge times are achievable!!

Look at hobbyking
I would get a LiPo charger and battery combo but the battery would be useless to me. The reason is because the ESCcan only take a 1800-3600mAH, 7.2v, NiMH pack. So based on that I can only get this battery and charger combo: http://www.rcplanet.com/DuraTrax_Ony...35-vnr0649.htm
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

voltage is voltage, the nimh pack you have when charged is 8.4V, as is a 2s lipo. The 7.2V on the label is the nominal voltage on lipos the nominal voltage is 7.4V all these are is manufacturing descriptions about the pack.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Goldenduff

Capacity is not a factor. As stated above the peak voltage of 2cell lipo will not hurt your esc. The advantage of lipo is voltage stays steady through out the run so speed doesn't drop however because of this you need to be careful not to over discharge them. Also storage and charge can be dangerous e- as can crossing the road!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
trax de max

I forgot to add you need a low voltage alarm or cut off with lipo. If this is your first go at lipo then this is very important takes a long time to get timing right too not use alarms or cut off's
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Zlash03

ORIGINAL: trax de max

I forgot to add you need a low voltage alarm or cut off with lipo. If this is your first go at lipo then this is very important takes a long time to get timing right too not use alarms or cut off's
Yeah this would be my first LiPo for a car. (I have a Blade MQX but itcame withthe built-in LVC and LiPo charger.) I read upon LiPo'sa lot not to long ago and I know all about the alarms and LVC's. Would the mAHs still matter since the esc doesnt want more than 3600? Cause I found a Charger and LiPo combo here and its 3200mAH: http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_LiPo_2...53-vnr0652.htmThen I would just plug the balancer on the battery into this alarm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2in1-Ind...item3a7949ba79Would that be an ok setup for what im looking for? The alarm seems pretty popular though too.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Goldenduff

Capacity in mah does not matter. The motor will draw the current it needs. As long as the battery can provide the rate of amp draw the capacity will only determine how long it can sustain the delivery of the amp draw.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Zlash03

Oh ok. I see. I think I will just stick with this setup for right now though in the interest of price since I can just get more LiPos later on and use the same charger. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 PM
trax de max

that alarm would work, there is maybe the same but less cost ones.
I think i would choose a charger with a display so you can see what's happening with the battery rather than one with leds. For batteries this size you don't need a powerful charger.
Battery i'd choose the small capacity nano techs. 2200mah rather than the venoms. google N2200.2S.25.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Zlash03

ORIGINAL: trax de max

that alarm would work, there is maybe the same but less cost ones.
I think i would choose a charger with a display so you can see what's happening with the battery rather than one with leds. For batteries this size you don't need a powerful charger.
Battery i'd choose the small capacity nano techs. 2200mah rather than the venoms. google N2200.2S.25.
I might have to consider that battery or one like it. Cant beat the price though thats for sure. I paid more for my Mini-T battery.