Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Newer Battery Types

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 AM
JohnB96041

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer Battery Types

I am in the process of converting all my receiver battery packs to newer type batteries. Have always used NiCad and/or NiMh batteries. Now, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the following batteries if they are all approximately 1700 mah?
LiPo batteries
Li-Ion batteries
LiFe batteries
Not sure which to get. I have the Triton EQ battery chargers which can charge all types of batteries. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go with Lipo or Li-on you'll either have to use all HV servos, or use a regulator, Servos rated for 6V operation cannot handle the 8.4V voltage of a fully charged Lipo.
On the other hand, LiFe/A123 packs have the same full charge voltage as a 5cell (6V) Nixx pack, so no problem running 2S LiFe unregulated with the vast majority of servos.
I started using 2S A123 packs in all my gas/glow models back in '09, couldn't be happier.
Pete
Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The advantage to using a Lipo and a switching regulator (SBEC) is that a properly working and sized SBEC
along with a Lipo can provide more current than might be available from the equivalent weight other battery types.
I use Lipos for main power, so it makes sense to use an SBEC to provide RX and servo power. The SBEC I favor
is 5-6A continuous rated, and works with up to 6S Lipos. I usually set the output voltage to 5.5V.
In theory, I'll have RX and servo power long after the lipo is discharged to 3.2V per cell.

More than one SBEC can be used, if needed. I.E. isolate power to such things as gear, flaps, and things other than the critical
flight surfaces.

LiFe batteries can tolerate more abuse than Lipos.
Li-ion is similar to a Lipo, with many of the advantages and dis-advantages.

The Triton is a 50W (AC) 63W (DC) charger with balancing.

Last edited by chuckk2; 01-27-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, based on your battery packs being about 1700 mah, LiFe is probably a better choice. If you needed high currents, you would be probably already be using larger batteries.

The LiFes can put out much more current than the Nixx types, so you will gain quite a bit there. The fire potential of the LiFes is low, similar to that of the Nixx.

Using LiFes for several years in seven planes.

Brian