Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Do hobbico LiFe packs load test just like normal batteries?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Do hobbico LiFe packs load test just like normal batteries?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
FenderBean

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Do hobbico LiFe packs load test just like normal batteries?

If so whats the stop fly voltage under a 1 amp load on a 6.6v pack? Im not talking about A123s by the way thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do hobbico LiFe packs load test just like normal batteries?

No matter that they aren't true A123s. You cannot load test them ,especially with 1a. 1a. isn't even enough to tickle them. Charge them, make one flight, then charge them again noting how many Ma. you put back in. Once you know this you can calculate how many flights you can safely make before a recharge. As a rule, I do not run mine below 50% of capacity which leaves a large margin of error. They only take 15 or so minutes to recharge anyway.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with above.  I use less than 100mah in 3 flights on 5 standard servos in a 4*60 on HobbyKing 1100 LIFE rx packs at $4 each so I would use the Hobbico's for a few years and then buy the HK's and use them for a few years.  If they ever weren't up around 6.6 after charging I would replace them.   At $4 before shipping and with them considered non-toxic don't keep them too long. 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 AM
KW_Counter

Since LiFes voltage drop very quickly when they get below their
nominal voltage (3.3 v/c), I stop flying them when they get to 3.2 v/c.
I am using LiFes in my transmitter, I stop/recharge at 9.8 volts.
They will stay at 9.9 for quite some time.

This is also true of LiPos.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend Hobbico's batteries and I think you will find them of excellent quality. Hobbico like Tower demands a higher quality control standards and have a fantastic customer service reputation. If you ever get a bad battery or one that doesn't stand up your quality, help is just a phone call away.

Frank
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

True, authentic A123 packs will outlast and outperform generic LiFes all day long. They are available from several trusted vendors at very reasonable prices. TaildraggerRC, WrongwayRC and NOBS are just a few I have used with great results. I'm not going to risk my planes to save a few bucks on HobbyKing anything.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 taken from Hangtimes site-

Q: What's the difference between A123 LiFe packs and LiFe PO4 packs like Hobbico's LiFeSource™ packs?

Two big differences. First, A123's patented 'Nano' plating technology.. at a molecular level the negative plate material stands like a shag carpet rather than laying 'end-to-end'. This produces an incredible amount of surface area gain for A123's negative plate and it's why A123 can tolerate immense current loading without voltage sag. Another benefit to the nano plating technology is a huge increase in cell life. All stored energy systems consume negative plate over time.. with 100+ times thenegative plate surface area generated by any competitors plating processthe lifespan of the A123 cell is extended immensely. Next, A123's arealuminum cased cylindrical cells withwelded alloy end plates and towers like a Nicad cell. This enablesa rugged welded strap packassembly system (like Nicads) that is exceptionally robust and veryresistant tovibration andhard knocks.TheLiFeSource™ packs are built with wafer stacked'bag' prismatic cells.. like LiPoly. And, like LiPoly, they are fragile, thecell link tabs are very thinalloy stripsand the entire assembly is as a result susceptible to rough handling and vibration. Further,the prismatic cellsand their tabbing system are unable to handle anywhere near the current loading the A123 system can tolerate with ease.

But from an AMERICANCOMPANY!These guys aare based in LI,N.Y right at ground zero of Sandy. If your plane means something then your battery should also. http://hangtimes.com/index.htmlThey could use our help right now.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
pilotpete2

+++++1
Pete
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hasn't A123 went into liquidation now.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Goldenduff

Bought by Johnstone controls I think?.....
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

That was the car battery division.

Hobby, tools, military, has been unaffected.

My sources are now selling the new 2500 mah A123 packs and cells are available aplenty