Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Converted PC power supply keeps turning off?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Converted PC power supply keeps turning off?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converted PC power supply keeps turning off?

Just finished my 2nd power supply conversion and it worked for about 30 seconds then shut off.
Now when I turn it on the fan will spin for a second then stop.
I have 2 black wires to the ground post.
2 yellow wires to the positive post.
Connected 1green and black wires so it will start.
Attached a 10w 10ohm ceramic resistor to a red and black to add a load.

Everything looks good? Any ideas?

I,ve been using my 1st PC PS for years with no problem.

I need a backup PS.

Can I hook two chargers to one supply?

Thanks fOr any help

Steve
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Converted PC power supply keeps turning off?

If this is just setting there idle and kicking off I have no ideas. If not then it is pulling too much current from it causing it to trip because of low voltage perhaps. You can run any number of chargers from 1 ps as long as it isn't overloaded.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 AM
wade7575

I'm pretty sure I know what your problem is,first let me say that this part is not listed in the how to section on converting a PC PowerSupply as it was done many years ago,the new other thing you may need to do is because there has been another advancement in PC PowerSupply's.

What you need to try is connecting the Brown Wire to anyone of the Orange Wires the reason why is very simple,the brown wire is a load senseing wire of some sort and on some of the newer PowerSupply's you need to connect these 2 wires and on some you do not.

If you have not connected the Brown Wire to one of the Orange Wires I'm fairly certain that is your problem.

I have read the how to on converting a PC PowerSupply that is on this site and it is a good article it needs to be updated as there is no mention of the Brown and Orange Wire possibly needing to be connected,and rightly so as when it was written this was not an issuse but as times change so do PC PowerSupply's and I'm almost 100% certain that is your problem.

Also you can hook up as many charge's as you want to the PowerSupply just so long as you do not exceed the Max Amp's your PowerSupply can put out.
The best way is to install 2 Red and 2 Black Binding Post's and to the PowerSupply's case it really does not care as there can be many 12 volt thing's running at the sametime when your PC is on.

ORIGINAL: Popriv

Just finished my 2nd power supply conversion and it worked for about 30 seconds then shut off.

I need a backup PS.

Thanks fOr any help

Steve
Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Popriv

I hooked up the brown and orange wires, plugged it in, POOF, lit up like a christmass tree!, yanked the power cord out.... trashed it..

I have other PC power supplies but they dont have power switches built into them... Do I need that? or just unplug when not using?

I'll try again. ( my original conversion is still working after years but want a 2nd unit..)

Any updated instructions around?

Steve

ORIGINAL: wade7575

I'm pretty sure I know what your problem is,first let me say that this part is not listed in the how to section on converting a PC PowerSupply as it was done many years ago,the new other thing you may need to do is because there has been another advancement in PC PowerSupply's.

What you need to try is connecting the Brown Wire to anyone of the Orange Wires the reason why is very simple,the brown wire is a load senseing wire of some sort and on some of the newer PowerSupply's you need to connect these 2 wires and on some you do not.

If you have not connected the Brown Wire to one of the Orange Wires I'm fairly certain that is your problem.

I have read the how to on converting a PC PowerSupply that is on this site and it is a good article it needs to be updated as there is no mention of the Brown and Orange Wire possibly needing to be connected,and rightly so as when it was written this was not an issuse but as times change so do PC PowerSupply's and I'm almost 100% certain that is your problem.

Also you can hook up as many charge's as you want to the PowerSupply just so long as you do not exceed the Max Amp's your PowerSupply can put out.
The best way is to install 2 Red and 2 Black Binding Post's and to the PowerSupply's case it really does not care as there can be many 12 volt thing's running at the sametime when your PC is on.

I need a backup PS.

Thanks fOr any help

Steve
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
wade7575

Popriv you do not need a PowerSupply with a Power Switch built into it just unplug it when your done with it or plug it into a Powerbar and use that to turn it off.

Was the PowerSupply a Brand new unit that you just Converted.

If it was a Brand new PowerSupply keep this in mind,always use a Paper Clip and test the PowerSupply before you open the case and void the warranty.
Take a Paper Clip and bend it so it looks like a hourse shoe then find the 20 or 24 pin Motherboard Connector whatever the case may be and then put one end in the hole for the green wire and then the other end in any black and like it run for an hour or so,always do not mess with the Paper Clip at any point when the power is on,I don't know if you will get shocked but I never mess with it just incase.

Also depending on how old the PowerSupply without the switch is it still may need the brown and one orange wire soldered together,the best way to figure this out is hook everything up the way you did before but do not hook up the Brown wire to an Orange and if it turns on you do nt need to do this step if it does not turn on then you need to.

Also a good way to mod your PowerSupply is to not just attach clip or plug's of some sort to the end's of the wire's on the outside of the case,a better way is to get some binding post's and drill hole's in the powersupply's case and you can the wire's so they will not be to long inside the case.
Also be sure to use 3 to 4 wire's from the 12 volt side and 3 to 4 black to handle the amp's you may be pulling.

Myself I have a Corsair PowerSupply coming that I will be Modding and I will be installing enought Binding Post's so I can run 3 charger's if I need to,I Run Electric Boat's and they get about 6 to 10 minute's runtime depending what boat I take out and they all use 2 pack's,So I got 3 charger's that can charge 4 pack's Per-Charger as well,I got a Turnigy that put's out 10 amp's max per-port and the other 2 are HobbyKing XD-6 charger's that can put out 6 amp's per-port max.
The Corsair I have coming can supply 62 amp's in total on the 12 side that's some power all right.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 AM
Popriv

PS was an old one I removed from PCs at work before I discard the PC. The only brown wire was attached to the AC plug inlet and on off switch. I had already cut the wires I wasn't using and had put bind posts in the case. Originally it ran for 30 seconds then shut off. It would then spin the fan for a second when I turned it on. I then soldered a wire jumping from orange to one of the terminals on the switch where a brown wire was attached ( this may have been my problem? ). Sparks and fire when I turned it on. I didn't see any other brown wires coming out of the circuit board like all the other wires I trimmed.

I was using the PS with a switch for convenience but still have plenty of Old PS's at work to try again....

Thanks
Steve
Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only brown wire was attached to the AC plug inlet and on off switch. I had already cut the wires I wasn't using and had put bind posts in the case. Originally it ran for 30 seconds then shut off. It would then spin the fan for a second when I turned it on.
NEVER (let me state this another way: NEVER) attach any wiring on the AC side of the PSU to anything on the DC side. The brown wire mentioned is a sense wire that will be attached to one of the orange 3.3v rails on the motherboard connector. Sometimes, the sense wire will be a smaller gauge orange wire. If your motherboard connector does not have two wires attached to the same post, then your supply is too old to have a sense wire.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Mikecam

I have other PC power supplies but they dont have power switches built into them... Do I need that? or just unplug when not using?

You can unplug or buy a simple switch and put it between the green and black wire.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 AM
SuchIsLife

I'm using a discarded 36A HP server power supply but it took quite a while to find the right way to power it up. (Thankyou forums).
Although I converted a PC power supply many years ago, they were a lot simpler. Of course it could only put out 5A...

Popriv, if you have plenty to experiment with you'll find the right setup eventually.

The other option is just to buy a dedicated PS, I was looking at one of these as a backup, as I can't get any more server PSU's.
Still puts out the 36A I need for parallel charging, but at 17v instead of 12, so it's actually an upgrade
and it's in the satellite warehouses so shipping is reasonable.