Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

powering a charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powering a charger

I am just getting into LiPo batteries and charging them and I don't understand most of the terminology/procedures etc. My charger did not come with a power supply and I would like to use it with house current supplying the power. Will a wall charger with an output of 12V @ 1.5 amps be enough to supply this thing? Also, what does it mean when it says to discharge packs at 25-35C? Thanks guys

By the way, this is an imax B6 charger.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: powering a charger

No, wont charge much if anything,

Take that 12v charger you already have and hook it to a lawn tractor battery, that's a very cheap power supply. and it becomes portable

25c 30c is discharge rate (30c = 30 times the pack's capacity), basically how fast the battery can discharge to deliver it's current to your ESC/motor or RX/Servos if a RX pack.,,

"C" rates are known to be exaggerated
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea forget about it's discharge, that's for working out how many amps it can give out to supply the motor/esc. 4000mahx30C divided by 1000=120A;
5000mahx20C divided by 1000=100A.
On the pack the first C number is constant discharge, the second higher number is the burst discharge.

Now the single number on the rear of pack from 1C upto 12C But most are either 1 or 2C but can be higher this is the charge rate, 5000mah charged at 1C = 5000 divided 1000x1C= 1A; 5000 divided by 1000x2C = 10A; 3C=15A and so on.

A 12V supply with 1.5A can only charge at 1.5A in theory, in real world about 1A. Charge higher and it'll not last long or the charger knows this and drops it's charge rate accordingly.
Lipo is all numbers, but very easy to pick up. Once you know the specs of the esc then you'll know you need to pick higher figures from lipo. Charge rate is pretty straight forward stick to 1C then just divide the capacity mah by 1000.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys. That confirms my guesses, expecially that a wall wart that only puts out 1.5A is unable to charge more than that. I somewhere in the back of my mind was hoping that the charger could somehow magically increase the amperage, but I really didn't believe it. So, I will use my jumper battery setup that is simply a 12V battery in a case with all kinds of neat lights and two cigarette lighter receptacles on the front of it. I just need to find an electrical wire with a cigarette ligter plug on one end and a receptacle that will fit into the charger on the other end. Or make one. I would bet that the charging end of a Futaba radio transmitter charger (the wall wart that comes with every Futaba radio) would fit that charger. Maybe not. I will find out.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

them type of dc adaptor plugs are rated at 3A, so don't go wild and try to charge higher.
they also have different polarities either + centre pin and - outside or - centre pin and + outer.
There maybe a pic next to where it plugs in and shows.
here is a pic to show + centre and - outer.

you'll need to check with charger which way to connect.