Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

scary find in the shop today

Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM
  #1
scale only 4 me
Thread Starter
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,600
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default scary find in the shop today

I was cleaning up and look down and find this battery carrier had melted down, I kept this around to use during set up and I guess apparently lat time I unplugged it from the switch the wires pulled away from the plug. When I picked it up it was cold, but wet with condensation.. Kinda freaked me out.

Scary thing is I can't remember how long it's been sitting this way, no obvious arcing or burns at the leads, and each cell is over 1.3 volts, low but not dead. I'm dumbfounded that it could melt down the carrier but the cells still have voltage.

Just shows, need to take caution with all chemistries
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64088.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1814137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51810.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1814138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89806.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1814139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42638.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1814140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96990.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1814141  
scale only 4 me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM
  #2
Goldenduff
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Aberdeen, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 1,003
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: scary find in the shop today

perhaps its a small acid leak that has burnt the casing. not electrical heat?
Goldenduff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
  #3
scale only 4 me
Thread Starter
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,600
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: scary find in the shop today

I don't think so, every corner with the spring (-) side is melted, not eaten away from acid, no evidence of acid coming out either, just condensation and electrolysis type corrosion.

What looks like happened is it shorted, got hot, melted the plastic to the point it lost good contact with one cell, but still enough to conduct some voltage. When I check the packs voltage at the lead it was under 1 volt, but I test each cell individually their all around 1.3 to 1.4 volts
scale only 4 me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:56 PM.