Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Whats a good charger. Just starting out

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Whats a good charger. Just starting out

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
j0e331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good charger. Just starting out

I just picked up my first lipo r/c and im looking for a decent AC/DC charger. The cheap balance chargers that come in most RTRs arent cutting it. I want something that charges faster, but i dont know where to even start. Heres what my use will be, so hopefully i can be pointed in the right direction

charging 2 cell lipos, 3200-5000mah, 20-30c. Would like to maybe be able to charge more then one lipo at a time, as long as it doesnt jump the price up a whole lot. Looking to spend around 100-150 bucks if possible

Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Whats a good charger. Just starting out

I have both a HiTec X4AC and a Dyamond Super Turbo Quad charger with power supply. The Hitec has been sent in for repair twice already for different problems and is less than four monthe old. The dyamond has been flawless and both have the same approx number of hours on them. Granted, the Hitec is a little nicer and has some additional features, certainly not worth the $200+ I paid for it in retrospect. If your looking for a four port charger, I'm pretty happy with the dyamond. http://www.rc-dymond.com/index3.php?productID=2106

Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you don't have to spend a lot of money to charge what you want. I have two of these types of chargers and they are decent chargers for the price. Yes there are better more powerful and more expensive chargers out there but in my opinion you don't need one of them .....yet. if you get into large batteries then you could look into one of those. Otherwise this should work fine for you and you can spend the rest of the money on more lipos !

www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/chargers/gt-power-a606-d-50watt-6a-6s-balance-charger.html

www.valuehobby.com/accessories/charge-discharge-wires/parallel-charging-board-deans.html
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Any of the cheap 50 watt chargers will get you going much better than the rtf chargers. Beyond that perhaps a Onyx 235 or 245 will suffice. Can go beyond that as well with some fairly high powered (cheap) chargers from hobbyking. Perhaps beyond that are the many i-chargers.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
j0e331

Thanks guys. I was getting frustrated trying to find a charger because theres just so much out there. And im not familar with lipos just yet. I didnt wanna get something i cant use or something way over kill
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres no overkill, It all will depend on the battery/batteries you will use. The powerful chargers might seem extreme which it will be if your only using one battery, but if you use multiple same cell count lipos, then the powerful chargers are in a league of their own using a para board.

If your using a single lipo 3s under 5000mah then a 50watt charger would be good with ac input. Above 3s and above 5000mah then I'd look at anything over 80Watt as a start off charger. But may need a power supply.
It's best to charge at 1C, which makes fast charges close to the same time with the different chargers. The only difference is the powerful chargers can put more current through the balance leads, which saves a little more time.
If you want fast charges then this depends on the lipo and it's charge rate that it allows to use there is one that can do 12C some 5-8C more capable at 2-3C, but this will shorten it's life with quick charges all the time. A nice steady 1C is a happy battery.