Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
JCruckus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needs help

Hey whats up guys?!

I'm totally new and have been researching but hope someone can help me out.

I just bought my son the ECX Ruckus and want get him a couple more batteries for it. It comes wiith the 1800 speed packs but was hoping to find something that will last longer?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: newbie needs help

that's an 1800 mAh NiMh pack? (NOT a lipo) ...
I've read a couple of threads RE that particular truck, from what I've read there are folks using lipo batteries in them..
I'm NOT sure if they are swapping out the ESC on them... (a 2 cell Lipo is essentially dead at 7.4 volts, a six cell NiMh is fully charged at 7.2)
assuming you want to stick completely with NiMh and not Lipo's, get the biggest battery that'll fit (more mAh's).
personally, I left NiMh and Nicads behind the first time I used Lipos... (I'm an airplane guy, however )
Lipo's are a completely different animal and are cared for and fed completely differently from NiMh/Nicads but in my opinion they're SO much better.
much lighter, much more usable power.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 6cell nimh and 2s lipo are roughly the same voltage fully charged.
under 3V per cell and you have started to go into over discharging a lipo.
If you use a 2s lipo with your esc you'll need some sort of low voltage cut off or low voltage alarm.
But lipo's do need to be treated correctly. lipo chargers now are more smarter than the old ones. I think they all have integrated balance ports now too.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM
JCruckus

Thanks for the help guys!Since I'm so new to this I think I'll stick with the NiMH's and just find the largest mahone I can for now. I'll start researching lipo's andgo thatroute when I feel more comfortable about them.

Any more info would begreatly appreciated!!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM
JCruckus

say i wanted to run this battery:

What else would I need - connectors? Where can I find them?

What about a charger? Can I change the plugs on the wall charger that comes with the Ruckus and it work as well?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

For some reason I cannot see the link to the battery you are referring to but from the description it looks like a good battery. It says Traxxas in the description so I am assuming that refers to that unit coming with a Traxxas plug. You are better off buying a battery with a Dean's connector and changing the plug on your ESC (if it does not already have one). There are many connectors, Tamiya, Deans, Traxxas, Losi EC3 (I think that's what it's called). I have used lot's of Traxxas and Dean's connectors and after making hundreds of solder joints I prefer the Deans. Just ask my kids after a have come in from the garage screaming how much I hate soldering Traxxas connectors.

You can change the plug on the wall charger but I garantee it won't be long before you are tired of waiting for that wall charger to charge your batteries, especially if you have multiple batteries. You would be batter off getting a good charger. Get one that charges lipos too so that you don't have to buy again later. They have come down in price so much that it makes sense to get one. I have had Hitec, Electrifly, Thunder Power, and Venom. I think I am most impressed by the Venom charger since it was the first charger we got many years ago (at least 5 years) and it is still going strong. I killed a Electrifly Titon in less time. I just got the Hitec that charges 4 batteries at the same time and it is now my favorite.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM
trax de max

I don't think it can handle a 7 Ni** cell battery.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
JCruckus

ORIGINAL: trax de max

I don't think it can handle a 7 Ni** cell battery.
When you say can't handle it - what do you mean?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
trax de max

is the esc not only for 6 cell
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
JCruckus

I dont know... Its a DYN 12t esc

I was looking on another site and read that I can run a lipo with an added low voltage alarm on an ecx out of the box.

Can anyone confirm?

I've got a Dynamite 20t with the above mentioned esc

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM
trax de max

6cell nimh and 2s lipo are roughly the same voltage. If it uses 6cell it'll work with a 2s. but yeah you'll need an alarm
If it is only a 6cell and you use the 7cell it may give off some of the magic smoke.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
JCruckus

haha!! don't need any of that!!!

Thanks trax!

I think I'll go with a 2s lipo
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM
trax de max

yep it's 4-6cell.
remember with lipo you'll need a lipo charger, a lipo sack, and to be handled carefully and an understanding how to set the charger up to charge the lipo's. But if your new then you won't of picked up any bad habits from using nimhs. and if you get stuck either google or just ask here.